Martin (Raider) and I "cooked" up a plan in the pub last night: On one of the stops eveyone prepares their gourmet dish, wraps it in foil and straps it to their exhaust manifold. At the next stop, we all stop you get a lovely hot meal.

We also discussed various other possible car cooking methods. You could divert the radiator hoses and create a "bain-marie", or strap a non-stick pan to the manifold, so that you can have a full english...

Of course, if you drive a GT6, you can just put a casserole in the passenger footwell!!!

I was thinking a bout a "Spit" roast ;) but you'd need to gear down a lot from the flywheel speed to get a good slow rotation on the spit...

THIS link might help...

I've often thought about one of these "cooker" after seeing some Australian on the TV with his Holden V8 cooker, a plumbed in stewpot. Looked really good although who'd want to eat stew in the desert when it's hotter than a foundry I don't know. Now stew in the Highlands, that's an other matter :-)
The cooker shown in the link just looks like a tin box strapped to the rocker cover, simple and easy in a cross flow engine, but where to mount it in a Vitesse?? A baked potato or two would be v good - I'm thining now!
Or you could just do what Jamie Oliver did and fry a steak on his VW camper's sainless exhaust.

Well, until I found the link we hadn't considered a manifold "oven", which opens up a lot more options. Until then it was just what we could wrap in foil...

Do you reckon a naan bread would warm up OK if it was wrapped around a SS exhaust?

Interesting article in the Telegraph saturday motoring section a couple of years ago about this.

Imagine a crossflow engine would be better as the exhaust manifold would be more accessible.
Gotta say I like the idea of a curry on the RBRR.
Liked the quip about GT6 footwells- so true!

I started this thread as a bit of light humour, but I'm actually starting to think it really WOULD be a good idea. It would certainly add an extra dimension, and would make for some great publicity shots! Which 2 stops would be the best for a) preparation and b) eating? We need to take into consideration cooking time...

Also need to think about the fact that there is food provided already too.

Having said that, the first stop at Blyth would probably be OK to actually eat or maybe near Corbridge - but not too late or you may be exhausted - Boom Boom ;D

Also perhaps on the Saturday night/Sunday morning - Oswestry to Gordano perhaps. Curry in the early hours of Sunday morning might be the antidote needed for the fatigue that usually sets in then

Martin- great idea-Gordano seems favourite.

Reckon jacket spuds cooked hanging from the exhaust manifold would be a good idea.
After the route through Wales we will all be in need of a hot bite to revive our souls! Of course the odours could prove too much and might mean a few would pull over for a al fresco meal in the Forest of Dean!

Cannot see how one could cook on top of the manifold- gonna have to be hanging from the manifold.

Quote:
Martin- great idea-Gordano seems favourite.

Yes but I am hoping this section will be a return to the "road rally route" of 2000 which could make it a tad difficult to keep the food in the right place :o

A nice steady run along a motorway would probably be best so cook on the M6, eat at Oswestry :-/

Extra points for cooking roadkill!

Squirrel fricasse anyone? How about some hedgehog au vin?

(remember you are not allowed, by law, to pick up your own roadkill, so follow someone who you think is likely to hit something!) I'll be trying to pick up a nice bit of venison....

You want to be following someone in a car that it's okay to bend, then.

Maybe we could get one or two MGs to enter, just to bring down some nice big roadkill?
And if the car gets written off, surely that's just an added bonus? ;)

• 4 months later...

Quote:
How do you know we will be going the same route Mr Raider Sir? Inside knowledge?

I know which route I will be taking ;)

Goody - my wife, as practical as ever, pointed out that risk to me. So, puncture the lid with a screwdriver and wire the tin on the manifold upright. I don't think that's gonna work on the tubular manifold of my TR7 Sprint  ??)

Archived