• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim,

Being as Dave is going to the LONDON drivers meeting on Monday, as he can't make the Tuesday in the Midlands, do you want to come to the Midlands Drivers meeting on Tuesday with Sam & I?

Being as you have never done the RBRR before, I would strongly suggest coming to the drivers meeting. Gives you a better idea of what to expect.

It is in Fillongly, down the road from the NEC.

Rgds
Alan

I called up my co-driver earlier today to update him. He sounded like he was in his van, so I asked if he was working. He said no, he was helping a young lady move house.

At the end of our conversation about the Spitfire I said I hoped he would get his "just reward" for helping her move house. There was a short embarrassed silence, followed by female laughter - I didn't realise that she was in the van with him and it was on handsfree!!!

[quote by=AlanChatterton link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1139996327,s=55 date=1158934524]Jim,

Being as Dave is going to the LONDON drivers meeting on Monday, as he can't make the Tuesday in the Midlands, do you want to come to the Midlands Drivers meeting on Tuesday with Sam & I?

Alan
[/quote]

Sorry chap, unfortunately can't make either night as I run the FREE TO ENTER MUSIC AND GENERAL KNOWLEDGE QUIZ NIGHT at THE FOXLYDIATE, REDDITCH on a Monday night (8.30pm onwards) and at THE GUILD, BROMSGROVE on a Tuesday night (8.30pm onwards) (Shameless piece of advertising)

It means I'm kind of relying heavily on Dave as he's the experienced RBRR driver  :o

(As an aside, can you imagine the 48 hour quiz bashing inside Dave's car  :-/ Would it rate as one of the top ten places in the world you wouldn't want to be????  :D)

Notice that Jason Hasn't posted on this thread about me being his co-driver, therefore I thought I'd get in first before he has a chance to damage my reputation!

I'm Andy Cook and I'll be Jason Chinn's Co Driver on the RBRR. I've owned and driven Triumphs since 1982 when I started off with a 76 Dolly 1850.

The Dolly unfortunately got hit up the rear by a Capri and was written off in 84, however I continued to use it with a badly stoved in rear end for about 6 months until it blew a head gasket on the M6 abut 100 miles from home late one Friday night. I ended up getting a tow from my Dad off the motorway and I dumped it on bricks outside a breakers yard somewhere near Coventry having stripped it off wheels (with nearly new tyres), battery, alternator and various other bits that I thought would come in useful for another car, I also removed the number plates!  (This was well before the days of SORN etc!).

I replaced the Dolly with a 76 Spitfire 1500 which I ran for about 4 years until that also got written off. A Toyota jumped a red light in front of me and I ended up hitting it at speed in the centre of the passenger side. This twisted the Chassis of my Spitfire as well as taking out the bonnet so it was well beyond economical repair. So my record with my first two Triumphs was not good with both cars ending up on the scrap heap!

Then in 1988 I bought a 71 GT6 MKIII which I've owned ever since. Over the 18 years that I've owned it I've replaced every mechanical component except the diff, it's also had two fairly major body repair sessions and the rear wings, sills, Bonnet, doors, tailgate, valances etc have been replaced along with repairs to the floor pans, bulkhead, roof etc and two re-sprays in 2 pack, one in 92 and one earlier this year. The car is fairly standard with a few minor popular mods such as K&Ns, Bell Semi Sports Exhaust, Aeroquip hoses, oil Cooler, Cosmic Alloys etc. I also fitted a rear seat as I managed to pick up a brand new Stanpart kit still in it's original box at an autojumble for a mere £75! I've travelled all over the England in my GT6 and also to France, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Luxembourg.

I'm not a Club Triumph member (yet!), I've been a member of the TSSC since 1985 and was the local area organiser for Essex during most of the 90's before moving to Hampshire in 2000. I actually met my wife Julia through the TSSC when she used to work on the Club shop stand at their international weekend.  I also know Jason from the TSSC as he is my local TSSC AO as well as being a CT member and he persuaded me to drive the RBRR this year with him.

I'm also a fairly active member of a couple of internet based Mini clubs as until recently I owned a BMW Mini Cooper and my wife currently drives a Cooper convertible. My current everyday car is a Jaguar X-type so all our family cars are British built (even though Mini and Jaguar are owned by Germans and Americans).

Feel free to check out my car website:- 

http://cookiecars.mysite.orange.co.uk/

Well Co-Drivers plural.

Both called Mike (easier on my old brain!).

The elder one I have known for 29 years, having been to school with him.

Owner of less than 20 Triumphs, honest! Used to drive a Nuclear Power Station until  they switched it off. Now sits in meetings all day where they discuss who gets the comfortable chair to sleep in that night. Think Homer Simpson, but eats curries instead of doughnuts.

The younger Mike is a professional driver (well a driver by profession) in that he delivers Porsches, Maseratis, Bentleys and Ferraris for the local dealership. A very hard life apparently. He is also trained lawyer, and we will be hiring him out at a very competative rate to anyone who may happen to catch the eye of Mr Brunstrom or his mates.

He drives a GT4 as a daily car so is a proper Triumph owner!

Cheers

Colin

I missed this thread completly and despite Andy getting his retaliation in first I thought I'd have to have a word or two :-)
You all know what I look like and I guess most people recognise the car too but what does Andy look like? yes he is asleep in his beer :-)
But seriously, Andy has a very responsible job, his true identity is Thermo Man (I think that's coz he carries a thermos flask?)

For those of you who know Bill Goodwin - he's just emailled me to say he's left for the airport. I'm collecting him tomorrow morning and taking him to my TSSC area meeting at the Crooked Billet in Hook - any CT members (in fact anyone - I run an "informal" area) are welcome to come along and say hello :-)

Archived