If your co-driver is not a CT member or a regular on this forum, tell us a bit about them, so we gat some interesting background before October.

I'll start: Andy Stevens is a long-time friend. Our wives met eachother on holiday many years ago, when they were both with different partners! Andy is (like me) a complete petrol-head, having owned (amongst others) a VW Golf VR6, 2 Porsche 911's (Carrera2 & Carrera 4) and a Lotus Elise. He's well over 6ft tall, so driving the Spitfire will be an "interesting" experience for him! He was recently offered a TR6 but turned it down - a decision I think he'll regret after the RBRR!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My co-driver is called Scott Retallick.  He and I have been great friends since school (1993). ;D

Scott is quite into 4x4 off road driving at the moment, so I'm trying to entice him back onto the black stuff!  He, like me, knows very little mechanically about cars, so is insisting that we're doomed before we've even started!

He has been considering a fun 'little' car, but was thinking of the MG Midget, so I immediately signed him up to the RBRR to show him that Triumphs are best!!! :P

That'sdone it, I'll break down on the start line now! Doh!  ;)

He'll be coming along to STAB with me to get a feel for all things CT and Triumph related! Secretly I think he just wants to blast the GT6 up the test hill, and hey, I'm not going stop him!  ;D

Mine is a fat very daft cumbrian called Ben  who has been my mate since we were 4 years old (32 years ) he has a fetish for young girls,pies and early  Golf GTIs he is a good spanner man  all though gets upsett with "quirky old british stuff" prefers german metric stuff which of course makes a him big girls blouse
He is very ugly and has no luck with women and was once called "embro head" by a lovely lady he was trying to chat up in Nantwhich
He hates French drivers and loves road rage thus tends to leave most the driving to me ! his favorite bits of the RBR is the second night stint down the A74 M6 then the Cornwall section
We always stop for fish and chips and the end of loch ness
We have also been seen in the truck drivers showers at westmorland services!!
He works at Sellafield and actually looks like Homer Simpson thus when writing to him its best to address everything "Ben Homer Hobson"
He was my best man at my wedding and I still havent forgiven him  for letting on to my parents  during his bests mans speech that we got banned from Shropshire during a canal holiday (by the chief counstable)
It will be 10 years since we did our first RBR (1996 in my Dolly Sprint)since then we have done the run in a different car each time,as we did the 10CR in the Taxi this years RBR  will have to be in the shed if I can get it pimped up in time
Oh yes its an old tradition of ours to stay up till 3am drinking the night before of the run hence thats why we look like S**T at the start
It also another tradition of ours to look like t***s whilst doing the run hence the stupid tashes flat caps and wigs over the years-as we are doing it in a 66 shed this year think we will have to do it dressed like Mick Jagger on acid
If you do see Ben at the start feel free to give him a slap!

my co driver is karen shaw, we met about five or so years ago at a wedding, we were together for ffour years, during which time i converted her to a petrol head,(sort of). she now works for an oil company, drivin round the country trying to convince everyone that lpg is the way forward!, even though the stuff she sells is for heating. she likes v8s and thinks lpg cars are crap!!!. 2006 will be her third  RBRR.

Well, I have a handicap called "Beans"  :o  Nice guy if only he didn't have the very scary left/right syndrome.  Left = right and right = left but sometimes it isn't. Confusing stuff!!

Also very keen on TR7's. He recons it's the best car in the world. Also thinks it's something pretty! (viewed from a certain angle I've been told). 

Think that will do for now. Will not bother you with all other strange habits he has  ::)

My co-driver is Colin ,i've known him for over ten years ,but it was only when we were three days into the first 10cr that i found out he was dislexic...this was when we ended up on the a3 to stutgard instead of the road to strasbourg.He's not mechanicaly minded at all and he can't read a map ....why do i bring him ...cos he's bloody good fun

AJP - I think you are rather harsh and not fair in your description of Ben. After all, look who he has to put up with :P

Anyway, my co-driver is Andy Bishop who I have known since 1992 when we both joined the same company and endured a 16 week training course ::)

He was my co-driver in 2000 in my Vitesse and was then part of the 5 man, 2 car entry in 2002.

He also shared one of those "moments" on the RBRR that you tend to remember - funnily enough at Oswestry, that well known place of strange evnts on RBRRs.

Just going round  one of the many roundabouts, me driving, Andy in the co-driver's seat when he says "Great car this TR7 isn't it? You certainly love throwing it around""

My reply "yes, and I haven't lost it yet" ::)

You can guess the next bit - a spinning TR7 and me saying "I have now" :o

Amazingly, he is looking forward to the getting back in the TR again for another RBRR!

Car 19  "The Two Malc`s" My co-driver is Malcolm Ricketts. Well known in historic car circles as a "Lotus Nut". He owns several especially rare and  races them all over Europe. However he will go upmarket to help with my recently acquired Mk11 vitesse. "Nuff said" Malc.

[quote by=GTRoger link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1139996327,s=5 date=1140024721]Well, I have a handicap called "Beans"   :o  Nice guy if only he didn't have the very scary left/right syndrome.  Left = right and right = left but sometimes it isn't. Confusing stuff!! [/quote]

Shouldn't be that much off a problem. Just put some arrows on the inside of the windscreen. One pointing left with the text "links" and one pointing right with the text "rechts" As some of the RBRR is in the dark (I guess) I would suggest fluorescent ones  8)

Mine's Chris Shaw.  Driver of the 'Magnificent 7', 10CR finisher (even though his carbs fell off just after the Nurburgring) and owner of the ex-Jigsaw/Mark Field 200bhp+ TR7 sprint track car.  A man who's talents for preparation and attention to detail perfectly complement my hopelessness in both areas  8)

Malcolm.

Simon Kenway, I have know for about 5 years. He was a Triumph virgin before the 10CR in my Mk1. He has now agreed to be my co-driver on the RBR on the assumption that lighting cannot possibly strike twice. Either that or he is completely mad  ::)
He is a great guy though and a very good and respectful( always helps !! )driver who likes pies and good music.
Seeing as we both smoke and can " trouser cough " for England helps too  ;)

[quote by=GTRoger link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1139996327,s=5 date=1140024721]...Nice guy if only he didn't have the very scary left/right syndrome.  Left = right and right = left but sometimes it isn't. Confusing stuff!!
[/quote]

Well, you can't always blame Beans.  If he's confronted by this sort of sign, hows he supposed to guide you?!  :P

[quote by=John_Martin link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1139996327,s=18 date=1140436544] Well, you can't always blame Beans.  If he's confronted by this sort of sign, hows he supposed to guide you?!  :P[/quote]

You see that Roger I was right ... or ... left ... or ... ::)  ??)

Archived