Tim

You beat me to this thread, I was just downloading my 2nd best moment (the best moment being driving into the carpark at 9-59 last night).

Is was sight of the old-boy grenading the engine in his campervan having held us and what seemed to be 100's of other people up in Cornwall.

We were coughing for hours afterwards!

Colin

Mine was probably just after leaving Lands end, doing a bit of pack hunting with Tim's GT and Roger's GTs. It was great to have a Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3 all beating our way through the moderns on the country roads and the dual carriageways. It must have been one hell of a pretty sight for the traffic on the inside lane (or inside edge of THE lane). I've learned SO MUCH from watching others drive this weekend and from observing how James handles my car. It goes so much better than I ever thought possible.

Second favourite moment was chasing 4 big saloons and doing a bit of sparing with a TR7 Sprint en route to Pimperne. Those saloons can FLY and James was keepin the GT in 5-6k revs all the time to keep up.

Third was the first sip of I.P.A at the Plough, with a tremendous sense of achievment.

I went from sub-zero to elation over the weekend. I don't mind sharing that I was gutted to the point of blubbing like a school girl on Friday as the car rapidly died on it's arse on the way to my co-driver Andy's place - such a real downer and nothing but nothing I could do about it!

I was then seriously bouyed by his response to the conundrum - not doing the event never even crossed my mind or his. So that was perhaps the high - from there it just stayed on the crest!

Looking back the whole thing went fine from there, early at every stop, nothing but a short lived trivial car issue, great driving, fun all the way. We worked well as a team - maybe the most satisfying bit was at the end when Andy said "I think I'll join CT, I want to do more of that!" - so another one absorbed into the collective, resistance is futile :-)

The start
Those lovely roads going south from Thurso
Trying to keep up with car 26 on the way from Hereford to Gordano - "I've only got 4 gears!" :D Not sure the car enjoyed it as much as I did though....

All in all, a great time from start to finish, it's hard to pick too many highlights!

[quote by=Jason link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160392765,s=4 date=1160402024] maybe the most satisfying bit was at the end when Andy said "I think I'll join CT, I want to do more of that!" - so another one absorbed into the collective, resistance is futile :-)

[/quote]

Resistance is futile....  8)

At least 1, hopefully 2 more membership application forms will be in the post shortly!

Colin

[quote by=Jason link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160392765,s=4 date=1160402024]maybe the most satisfying bit was at the end when Andy said "I think I'll join CT, I want to do more of that!" - so another one absorbed into the collective, resistance is futile :-)

[/quote]

Yep, "I thought it was so good I bought the cmpany" as Victor Kyam would say, well not exactly but I bought my CT membership!, filld in the stuff on line today and the forms in the post!

Now whats all this about a run though 10 countries, sound like a doddle after the RBRR, just need a 5 day pass out from er indoors.....

My fave moment is always that road across the top of Scotland. Despite having to endure 45 minutes in the Thurso traffic jam for the most disorganised set of roadworks ever, it was well worth the wait.

The new bit in Wales would have been equally as great, had I not been so very tired.

Another bonus, co-driver Adam is looking for a new fun car. He started the run talking about getting some form of Skyline/Subaru type motor and towards the end was increasingly saying how much he wanted to get a GT6 and take part in 2008. Another CT member in the making I think.

Fab run this year, the only problem we had on the car was a failing starter motor, necessitating the odd bump start.

Russell.

my favourite moment has to be when we made it back to the Plough! the astonishment that my car made around Britain and didn't break down once. All in all though, i enjoyed every moment of it.

the drive up to the Plough in the first place was fun- we got given lollies on the M25- some skilled driving between me and a Vitesse and i did overtake 5 of the big ones near the beginning but i think they were just driving slowly.

thanks to all who made it so memorable and i'm already making plans for next time

I think the best moment was watching Katie get back to the finish ..a massive achievment for a learner driver...even if she did learn in a triumph..some of the roads she drove in scotland she handled with an ability above her experience....[sorry proud father going on a bit]

:)Seeing the convoy of tail lights from Corbridge  on one of Berkeley's fav bit of roads, in the light of the moon.

The coast road to JoG we just love it and dawn is breaking listening to Big Country and I couldn't resist pressing the airhorns as we tanked it through Dunbeath and the spot where the 'White Tornado' died 2004 :P

Nick Dawes Tours from Bettyhill, was excellent, what a great guy he is....but don't tell him I said that

Wales what can I say Brilliant, I was reading the road off the Tom Tom to help Berkeley, team work.

Gordano... I wasn't feeling too great when I got there desperately needed food...as
someone had ate all the pies at Stirling >:( >:(

Lands End still not feeling too good,  just had a piece of toast :(

Pimperne great to see Doug And Mary again from the first 10CR 2003 and thanked them for organising a great stop 8) I was very naughty and had 3 helpings of cake.  Making up for Lands End....yes I ate all the cakes.

Got home at 5pm today.

Great to see everyone again, THANKS, did Oscar like his present Andy.

High points for car no 71 were;

Leaving the Plough last, probably at 20 past seven, but at least leaving it in the 2000 and thinking - hmmm hope that vibration is nothing too serious...?! If we get to Blythe we should be in with a shout!

The A68 in Scotland; too many camera's but what a fantastic road, and fun with Ellis in the Bus and Chris and Malcolm's TR7 V8.

The highland roads after Thurso were another highpoint and having a chase with Roger and Theo in their MK3 GT6.

Meeting up with MK1 saloon crews Doug and Andy Thompson and Lester and Frenchie near Oswestry, then setting off for some spirited driving (or in our case lurching and wallowing round the bends) through Wales; also coming across Roger and Theo in their white GT6 again and Dale in his rapid Herald.

David - Which saloon is that behind us ; is it Doug?
Fred - No I think it's a Herald...
David - in disbelief - It can't be?
Fred - I can tell by the headlights with sidelights underneath - it's definitely Dale.
David - Bloody hell - I have a Herald up my bottom!

Further fun was had with the MK1 saloons of Dave Tongue, Doug Thompson and James Shackford on Sunday driving to Pimperne; also with Andy Macs TR7 Sprint and Ben and James' MK1 GT6. Not so much of a highlight (except for maybe those that witnessed it) was the grass verge hopping incident which happened as I struggled not to miss a turn off from the A354...

Final highpoint was definitely getting back to the Plough and thinking - amazing can't believe a car that has sat in a garage for around 10 years and was dug out only four weeks ago has just got us round Britain in style - aren't Triumphs great?

Just a final highpoint - driving round Britain with none other than Roy Orbison - see below :)

The roads in scotland and wales, great fun 8)
The whole spirit of the event, as being one of the slowest you do get overtaken alot but everybody waves, takes pictures etc ;D

The look on the faces of some of the 'normal car drives' on the M25 when they get passed by a herald in the outside lane 8)

The 'Cannonball Run' stylee overtaking manouvers in an attempt to keep up with/stay in front of a certain bumperless grey MKI PI, and a similarly bumperless TR6 in Scotland on Saturday morning. Following a well driven red Vitesse through those wonderful roads in Wales. Getting very lost trying to get to Ashburton and the subsequent do or die return trip accross Dartmoor in an attempt to catch the control before it closed (I love the sound Stag motors make when you are thrashing the tators out of them!).
All in all not the best way to run in a fresh Stag engine that had only done 5 miles before the event!

[quote by=steve_1360 link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160392765,s=15 date=1160500946]The roads in scotland and wales, great fun 8)
The whole spirit of the event, as being one of the slowest you do get overtaken alot but everybody waves, takes pictures etc ;D[/quote]
Were you the Herald I followed from Penzance to the edge of Dartmoor? If so, thanks! Doing that stretch without a navigator would have otherwise caused me to cheat on the A30 I think. That learner in the Corsa was slow, wasn't he? We wondered what could be slower and we thought perhaps a tractor, or a cement mixer, or someone in an electric wheelchair thing.

Best moment me driving a £150 Acclaim through the dead of night and keeping up with the 3.5 litre tr7 (from which one wheel would cost more than the entire Acclaim) from Oswestry to the other side of Wales through the twisty roads! Awsome.....  certainly concentrates the mind.

ps. I'd still rather have the TR7!

[quote by=cook1e link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160392765,s=7 date=1160412121]

Yep, "I thought it was so good I bought the cmpany" as Victor Kyam would say, well not exactly but I bought my CT membership!, filld in the stuff on line today and the forms in the post!

Now whats all this about a run though 10 countries, sound like a doddle after the RBRR, just need a 5 day pass out from er indoors.....

[/quote]

Well done Andy - I owe you a drive in my car :-) The strip down continues, it's not the flywheel so now I'm thining either snapped crank or main bearing failed totally.

Welcome to Club Triumph - the Club that does :-)

[quote by=Jason link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160392765,s=19 date=1160508349]

Well done Andy - I owe you a drive in my car :-) The strip down continues, it's not the flywheel so now I'm thining either snapped crank or main bearing failed totally.

Welcome to Club Triumph - the Club that does :-)
[/quote]

Steady there tiger isn't that a bit rash! Captain Jason Chinnmeister CT RBRR, 10CR and bar the most experianced RBRR, 10CR, passenger of all time offering a ride in one of his cars on a CT driving event, it'll never happen! Don't believe a word the man say's, he's destined to be a passenger for all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote by=canleyclassics link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160392765,s=21 date=1160545203]

Steady there tiger isn't that a bit rash! Captain Jason Chinnmeister CT RBRR, 10CR and bar the most experianced RBRR, 10CR, passenger of all time offering a ride in one of his cars on a CT driving event, it'll never happen! Don't believe a word the man say's, he's destined to be a passenger for all time!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/quote]

<Throws down gaunlet> Sir, I shall see you on the HCR! I WILL be there in my own car for sure - it might be banging like a five dollar hooker on payday but I'll be there even if I have to drive a £25 Acclaim :-)

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160392765,s=20 date=1160518212]Jase,

Good luck matey, I'd love to come and give you a hand taking out the lump- still mega busy on post RBRR work.
However if I can help in any other way, please contact me.[/quote]

Thanks for the offer Tim, lots to do before I actually get to the root cause of the problem but I'll get there and publish results on the Blog. I think I've got most needs covered - have sourced an engine crane as I'm pretty sure the engine needs to come out.

I think the Betty hill run was one of the greatest moments. I have always driven my dolly like the old girl she is but my Co driver Gareth drove her like Tony Pond on heat with one hand on the wheel. I was nervous for all of about 30 seconds before I realised that he was a natural blatting down that track was sensational. We were the first to turn off that traffic line at Thurso and Gareth plotted a masterful  if agricultural route through the lanes without sat nav. I have no idea if those several that followed us were actually following or whether they knew where we were going !

Apologies to all for the amount of times we got caught having a slash at the side of the road. No one for miles , stop for an urgent Pee and a convoy of Triumphs appears!

Pimperne stop was also a high point. great marshalls and good company and I got to fiddle with some other cars.

Archived