It's a bit hard to concentrate on the good bits seeing as we had to retire at Penzance (see thread entitled "Worst Bits") but trying to think back, definite highlights were arriving at Wick filling station before Mr Chatterton's remarkably swift PI, helping get Craig Bennett's SA 2000 spluttering back into life at Gledrid services and the resultant high-speed blast on our own last-minute route change down the M54, M6 and M5 to Gordano trying to make-up lost time.

However, the very best bit for me was Saturday afternoon, driving all of the Conon Bridge to Stirling section in the howling rain and wind whilst blaring Richard Burton's War Of The Worlds out loud enough to rattle the putty in the windows  ;D ;D ;D

And one last thing. My girlfriend came to see us as Gledrid, and picked-up immediately on the positive vibe off everyone. She said the atmosphere was tangible. So much so, despite having refused point blank to even contemplate driving the 2000 before, she's now saying she fancies having a go herself in 2008. Whether this is a good thing remains to be seen.......  ::)

[quote by=Caroline link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160392765,s=17 date=1160503803]
Were you the Herald I followed from Penzance to the edge of Dartmoor? If so, thanks! Doing that stretch without a navigator would have otherwise caused me to cheat on the A30 I think. That learner in the Corsa was slow, wasn't he? We wondered what could be slower and we thought perhaps a tractor, or a cement mixer, or someone in an electric wheelchair thing.
[/quote]

yes it was me, your more than welcome. The learner was a bit slow, but i'm not saying we would have been a whole lot faster up them hills :-/ I hadn't had much experience of hills in the herald before (live in the fens!) I would have taken oxygen if i new how high up we were going ;D

Hard to pick on any one thing during our shortened run (our first DNF, b****r). Discovering just how good our Spit handles with its new anti-roll bar and tyres was pretty exciting. Pushed it harder and harder in Scotland and it just lapped it up  :o  However, one of the nicest things for me over the last couple of days since the run was letting all our sponsors know that we didn't make it and being told that they will still honour their pledges.

Being our first RBRR, all of it was the best but one or two things stick out.
The start, meeting people who like cars as much as me. The sun rising as we crossed an estuary in Scotland. Parking the car for a photo shoot at J O'Groats and rushing to get back in as it rolled back towards the sea. Chasing (but not catching) some fast cars in Wales. Loads of people helping us sort out our problems with the Stag. Actually making it to the finish. That pint at the end.

We thought this was the best event to date for us (despite two minor vehicle failures), and thanks to Tim and co for all the hard work.

Best road for me was the Scottish B Road after Thurso. Jo normally drives this section, but she was still tired, so I got to play. Fairly steady first bit, but then a number of Triumphs stopped to help Carl and Beckie with the Spit screen problem. After this, there were two Spitfires, a Stag, a mk1 saloon, a TR6 and us in the Sprint. The landscape allow vision ahead for some distance, and the convoy of cars were certainly motoring. It was perfect RBRR driving - fast but responsible. The chap in the dark TR6 was certainly chucking it around. Great fun, and rather energising!

Best 'spirit of RBRR' moment was receiving help from Peter and Anthony in the PI Estate when the Sprint lunched its fanbelt. It is great to know that someone will always stop to help even if they are at risk of falling way behind. Thanks to them for stopping, and for not laughing too loudly when they discovered me trying to rig up a temporary fan belt made of half a pair of ladies tights as the service stations had nothing else. Thanks to Scott and Paul in the Sprint for the offer of their spare too.

Welsh section is always enjoyable, but lost the main beam switch (again), so wasnt keen on leading a high speed convoy. The USA chaps came tonking past, and I tried to catch them, but couldnt quite bridge the gap - great fun once again.

We have already started talking about what we could do differently on the 2008 event. Bring it on!

[quote by=Fred_Slezak link=Blah.pl?b=rbrgen,m=1160392765,s=14 date=1160479265]

Just a final highpoint - driving round Britain with none other than Roy Orbison - see below :)
[/quote]

*sings* "Only, 24 hours from the Plough, Only 24 hours from some sleep"

My driving highlights:

From Edinburgh up north on the A9. I've driven this road before in daytime and was expecting the worst from it. But it turned out to be totally different on a quiet friday night. No traffic, no other Triumphs, just me and a screaming sixpot!

Seeing the sun come up on our way to JoG. Also a great road. Followed by Steve and Jan in the SE.

Driving down from JoG followed by Fred and Dave in the wobbly 2000. Later followed by the Acclaimers driving down the B871.

The Welsh section chasing a red Spitfire 1500. Dunno who you are but great driving!

Blasting towards Lands End in convoy with James and Ben. Then driving back from Lands End representing all GT6 models. Shame we split up so soon..

Driving through Dartmoor only using 4th gear (to save the slowly disintegrating gearbox... ) and being amazed that we still could keep up with most other cars.

Archived