I'm interested to know how much the event cost people in total (additional expense incurred due to the event, as opposed to general running costs) fuel, oil, spares, entrance fee, additional insurance...

My main reason for asking is that I want to put away a bit each month so that I can enter in 2012, as I'm always too skint to take part...

Entry is £65 each - whilst we try and keep the costs down there are some things that just keep going up, I bet no one thought that the world wide increase in metal prices would affect the cost of our RBRR Tankards! We have economised on a lot to keep the costs down but I think you should put in a contingency for such things.

Real cost of the event depends so much on the car and crew, logistics and the extent to which you want to immerse yourself in the RBRR. There's the driver's meeting to attend, T shirts and other regalia to buy, pop, crisps, beer and meals, a hotel at the start, chauffeur driven limo to collect you from the finish, etc, etc. Adding drivers to insurance can cost, hopefully only a tenner or so but check it out.

If you're two up in an out if tune PI auto driven at full chat everywhere then you're going to have a very different perspective than 3 up in a 948 Courier van driven conservatively (so I'm told). More than 2 crew means costs are shared further but space and comfort is compromised.

Bare min, austerity spec RBRR is entry fees, fuel (work it out using your chosen car's consumption) and bottles of tap water, relying upon cake and pies for sustenance.

So, say £250 for fuel plus £130 entry fees = £380, call it £400 or £200 each. That suposes no car prep costs.

You would be very lucky to get out of it at that and that only, so let's say £300 each to cover a few luxuries - I make that £12.50 a month in the jam jar, if you could stuff a £20 in the jar every month you'd be well financed by the tie it comes around again.

thescrapman wrote:

Ah, you've been talking to Russell and DAve, I haven't sent them my bill yet, that can wait until tomorrow.

:-)

Many thanks for your safe and courteous service Jeeves. Although we must work on that chaffeurs unitform. :-)

ferny wrote:

Erm, you only mention this after you'd dropped me home?

Consider me directing you through the beautiful town of Luton payment. :)

It was a pleasure Ferny, the flip side was that I got home myself - thanks for the guidance through Luton, dodgy looking place indeed!

Archived