Nick_Jones wrote:

Sorry but a new head will not fix that kind of oil use (unless you have one of those external rocker feed thingys), that's rings.  BTDT  :(

Nick

Maybe.  My Metro was getting about 200 miles per litre of oil before I decided to do something about it.

New valve stem oil seals helped a lot but a leaky oil seal on the sump was the main culprit as evidenced by a 1000 mile weekend during which it didn't really use a huge amount of oil - the consumption was time related rather than distance related.......!  Once all that was sorted it was back to 1000 miles per litre.

At the height of its oil consumption woes, the oil level went from maximum to some way below minimum after 50 miles at vMax (about 80) on the motorway.  I thought it sounded a bit rumbly once I'd left the M6.............

car 10 stag rover v8
worst avg 16.3
best avg 22.7
overall avg 19.7
£600 door to door ( £540 on run )
only 5 L of oil used instead of 15L in 2008 ( oil cooler fitted )
its proberly cost us the most but worth every penny  

Car 58. Mk2 2000 saloon.

didn't work out the MPG, but the total fuel used was £426. And some of that even stayed in the tank rather than spewing down the back wing!

Seriously looking at upgrading to a 2.5 engine though, the poor old girl found it hard going up some of the mountains and the big hills on the A30.  :(

Car 85 managed to get through 75 gallons of fuel for £410. consumption varied between 26 and 32 mpg, highest being Connonbridge to Stirling and lowest on deserted motorway between Stirling and Lancaster. Oil consumption was 1L so quite happy considering engine has done over 90K since being rebuilt.
V8 not so thirsty as long as it keeps moving at a reasonable pace.

Archived