some time ago, someone asked about the fuel costs for the run, I've just compiled mine which are for a 1500 Spitfire, mostly bog standard (apart from an extractor manifold)

Average consumption 40.1 mpg
Total Cost of fuel �264.56
Amount of fuel used  223.6 ltrs/49.1 gallons
Highest cost per litre  was shared between the services at Kinross and Lancaster at �1.24 at these locations
Cheapest cost per ltr was Sainsbury's Enfield - �1.13, follwed by Tesco's at Dingwall at �1.14

The most economical part of the run was between Gledrig and Gordano  at 44.5mpg (Slow Welsh Roads)
Least economical was between Conan Bridge and Lancaster at 37.5mpg (Glencoe etc)

Wonder what the big boys did in their saloons ;)

Standard Spitfire 1500, ran with choke pulled out half way entire trip, only way to get it to run well.
(Carb Overhaul kit just ordered)

Driven as if it wasnt mine.

Average consumption for entire run was 30.5mpg £375 spent in total including our 125mile round trip from home.

Best point to point was 38mpg from Crews hill to Blythe (owner driving), worst was 24mpg Gledrid to Gordano (me driving)

2140 Miles Covered £375.01 Spent on  317.12 Litres at an average cost of £1.18 Per Litre 30.5MPG

I'm now truly convinced the odometer on the 2000 is under-reading, even with the 80 mile trip home, it's still only on 1990odd miles.

Anyhow, fuel stats, including getting to and from the start.

Cost : £454.36
Litres : 376.17 / 82.86 gallons

MPG based on speedo reading : 25mpg

MPG based on route book, plus 160 miles : 26.2mpg

About the same as other years.

Me and Keith gave it loads of welly in his silver GT6. How can you get good fuel economy in Wales on the best driving roads in britain?!? :-/
We didn't track the MPG accurately but, his very well sorted car had £335 of fuel put in it and arrived at The Plough still wih 3/4's of a tank 8).
It says a lot for how well the car was set up for reliability and performance :).

Alan,

9 galls in 2000 odd miles......!! The only oil consumption I've come across that was in the same league as that was Dave Lonsdales Spit 1500.  When that came apart he found that there was not a single unbroken ring in the engine and no 4 had broken ring lands as well, with one piece of ring crossing over to occupy sections of both upper and lower compression ring slots -never seen anything like it!  You might be about to though!

It ran surprisingly well considering, but crankcase pressurisation was epic!

Nick

Edit:  I'd forgotton about my Herald when running the first of the two 1500 Dolly lumps it has had - I foolishly Redexed it, removing the carbon build-up that was acting in lieu of piston rings and oil consumption went from bad to epic.  I used to have to stop and put more oil in it when travelling between Yeovil and Guildford (100 miles approx).  I didn't do a PM on that as the cause of death was obvious - no 3 rod sticking out where the fuel pump used to be - too late topping up the oil that time  :B

michael_charlton wrote:
Nick, ....next time can you go round the night before and nail all those sheeps feet down. Cant they eat whats under foot instead of running from one side of the road to the other

What, ALL of them  :o  sheeps...... deers......  natural hazards and all part of evolutions rich pattern  :P  

Done close encounters with deer when confronted with a whole herd at 3am travelling home from a scatter rally (at very moderate speed obviously  :P).  Somehow only got one of them and that ran away so no venison for me.  Dented me Dolly though  :(

Nick

You know what, that stuff actually worked!

We had an extra 15psi or so oil pressure and the oil consumption at the next checkpoint was half what it had been before. Problem is, as it got burnt, the concentration level dropped and it went back to its old smoky self.

We did consider buying a few more bottles, but at £7 each, it was cheaper to just throw in the oil!

Interesting that it did work for a while.................

AlanChatterton wrote:
You know what, that stuff actually worked!

We had an extra 15psi or so oil pressure and the oil consumption at the next checkpoint was half what it had been before. Problem is, as it got burnt, the concentration level dropped and it went back to its old smoky self.

We did consider buying a few more bottles, but at £7 each, it was cheaper to just throw in the oil!

Interesting that it did work for a while.................

Oh yes, definitely does work - has been keeping the Vitesse' oil thirst semi-moderate (500 miles/litre) for the 10CR and HCR.  It wore off about 2/3 way around 10CR though.  Oil pressure when cold is scary high!  Obviously mine is only about 1/2 worn  :P  Don't see much smoke but you can smell it and the back of the car goes black......

Nick

Archived