The route does not go near the South of England, we used to go to Goodwood, but found the timing too tight.

Only section that may be of interest is the last leg:Tring on the A41 down to the M25 Jct 20 and onto to M25 jct 24. Off there and then its  a short section of minor A roads to Crews Hill to the finish.

Hello Tinbancroft61. Thanks for that. Now I know I'm new on this great forum but why is it called round Britain run?  As they dont come down here it should be called round the top three quarters. (Dont take me too seriously) I was on that part of the M25 today.   Ken.

2533 wrote:
Hello Tinbancroft61. Thanks for that. Now I know I'm new on this great forum but why is it called round Britain run?  Ken.

As the run goes from Potters bar to John O’Groats to lands end to potters bar, that round Britain. If it went everywhere it would be called the go everywhere round Britain reliability run ;)
No seriously it is a historic event read http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/comps/mxcontent.cgi?pid=3

Time - could you add a visit to NI, and still get to LE-JoG?
Money - add the ferry costs and it might be prohibitive.
And the RBRR commemorates (allegedly) a Triumph  test route, used for proving new models etc, that didn't go to NI for the above reasons.

How about starting your own, RIRR?

John

The RBRR has never gone south of London, simply because no roads until the construction of the M25 could be feasibly used Remember all roads exit London (A1,A10, A12, A2, A20, A23, A3, A30, A4, A40 and A5 etc) like legs from a spiders body. The radial roads south of London, like the A25 are awful.

Once the M25 was constructed it became such a success that it could not be used on a Sunday as too much traffic used it. We have limited the m25 useage as it is so busy.

The route used to go up the M3 onto the A316 into Richmond, Kew Bridge, Hangar Lane, North Circular to the pick up the A111 to Cockfosters, the old finish.
I have the road books from the first two RBRRs: '66 & '69. How they event was completed in 48hurs I will never know.

timbancroft61 wrote:

How they event was completed in 48hurs I will never know.

Because there was bugger all traffic on the roads thats how.

The North Circ probably had a 60 limit in it and you could do that. Same with all the other roads.

It is probably harder now than then as they just used main roads didn't they???

Cheers

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

MWG445 wrote:
Don't want to worry anyone but here's the current view, crossing the border into Scotland, on the A68 at Carter Bar.

It'll probably have melted by the weekend. ;)

Jim.

That'l be a picture that other famous border between Italy and Scotlandshire then will it Jim!!!

Archived