Tim's intriguing hint of a control stop at Compton Abbas had me looking for something of interest that would drag the RBRR route through the area.

And guess what?

Zig Zag Hill on the B3081 between Shaftsbury and Tollard Royal is nearby.

Here's a map of the area but check it out on Google Streetview.

A hundred Triumphs blatting up through the hairpins would be a sight to see!

Jim.

Excellent. I know that road very well. The rest of the B3081 is very enjoyable too. We could take it as far as the A354 and pick up the same route as last time towards Salisbury. My friend keeps his buses at the bottom of Zigzag Hill, I'd have to pop in and say hello.

Excellent. I know that road very well. The rest of the B3081 is very enjoyable too. We could take it as far as the A354 and pick up the same route as last time towards Salisbury. My friend keeps his buses at the bottom of Zigzag Hill, I'd have to pop in and say hello.

• 2 months later...

I have done it in an Iveco jumbo van while on a triumph parts trawl, the diff nearly blew up, and after I vowed to myself to take the PI back and give it a go, what a fabulous bit of road... compares well with the cat and fiddle run in Macclesfield / Buxton where I grew up.... we would need marshalls at the top and bottom though surely?

now that my pi is running I may have to take a Sunday drive down there  ;) ;

They do round our neck of the woods!      Hopefully you can get the link to work, or some one will come along and tell me what I've done wrong again.      ??)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chequer+hill+road&oq=chequer+hill+road&aq=f&aqi=q-w1&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=8142l13021l0l15567l17l17l0l1l1l0l366l3285l3.1.7.4l15l0

Seems to be okay, 2008 Classic Adelaide. Not overly twisty but this little bit of road is quite steep and lots of fun!          8)

• 2 months later...

Nothing happening with Compton Abbas, to be honest I wrote a letter to them to request the use. No reply and before I could think about calling to chase, the Southern area members have come up with a viable solution.

So, no Compton Abbas I am afraid.

3 new stops on the RBRR this time.

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd bump this up again. I meant to say something when the last magazine arrived but forgot. Surprised nobdy else mentioned it but according to the mag there is a control stop at Sixpenny Handley Village Hall so Zig Zag Hill is very much still on by the look of things.

Hello Tim, well I look forward to seeing the route. I assume then that we'll be sent the same way as last time up the A354 from where we'll have to go down the B3081 to Sixpenny Handley then double back on ourselves to return to the A354. But from Honiton it looks about the same distance to stay on the A30 all the way to Shaftesbury then up the B3081 and Zig Zag Hill. The only major town on the route is Yeovil which I don't think is usually too bad for traffic. Can't be any worse than Bridport/Dorchester.

Mind you the last time I did that particular stretch of the A30 my clutch disintergrated.

Sorry Yogi, cannot change the route now as the Road Book is at the printers.

Most Entrants on the Sunday afternoon are looking for simple roads to use as they just want to get back, one or two nursing poorly cars.

We have simplified the route the Wiltshire/Hants border, mainly major A or Motorway roads.

See you at the DM?

Here you go.

Obviously has to be simple owing to the 2000 miles we will cover, all types of roads are used from Motorways down to single track roads in the Highlands.

No tricks or anything, just clear instructions with the aim of hoping that no cars get lost.

Some of the roads make for great driving, for example the return leg from JOG down to Stirling is excellent fun.

The route used has been subjected to constant evolution since the event started, the biggest change being in 2000 when Welsh roads were first used, the Saturday had become a fast dash from Stirling to Indian Queens on the A30 in Cornwall using either motorways or fast dual carriageways. This was both boring and very tiring! Something needed to be done to spice the event up, and it was decided to go over to Oswestry and down through Ludlow, Hereford, Monmouth to cross the Severn bridge and get to Bristol/Gordano.

I always find it mind boggling to think that one is in Stirling at 18.00hrs on the Saturday and we have to get to Lands End and then back to Crews Hill for the finish 24or so hours later.

Yes that's ok Tim, I realise it's too late to change anything now, I was just thinking out loud really. We shall have to see how we are doing by the time we get to Honiton and we might go that way anyway, it would certainly wake up whoever's driving at that point. Yes I'll see you at the drivers meeting, cheers.