• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah - but I didn't intend to sleep...

On RBRR and 10CR I can't sleep when I am meant to - and often feel like wanting to sleep when I am meant to be awake...

3 up in the car this year on the 10CR should be interesting...

• 2 months later...

timbancroft61 wrote:
So Mr Baxter decision made?

From the amount of feedback about entries I have seen, I think entry places for the RBRR will go very quickly!

In 2006, the first post after the announcement of the event resulted in 5 entries arriving in the post, will the 2008 event top that?

No worries for team Atlas, we have our entry guaranteed. It helps having the other member of the team as RBRR entry organiser Barbie. Standard Atlas camper RBRR entry number 1, read it and weep.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Not so hasty, matey!

!

As for entry no.1, wait your turn!

I have my entry confirmation here in front of me? The van is stickered up and I am currently sitting in the Plough car park waiting for the off. I have the pan on with some bacon and egg on the go. Tomato, or brown sauce on yours Tim?

Advice to b.baxter. I did it last time out in a dolly auto. Only really struggled once on Dartmoor, I got out with my son and the Co- driver made it to the top ! Car made some bloody awful noises on the way down and the brakes seemed to be on their last legs but once cool and everything was topped up off she went to the finish. I gave up trying to keep up and rolled in second last so I must have been beaten by a number of Heralds. Got quite lonely in such a slow car though. Next year I will have 4 on the floor + O/D I  got tired of being out dragged by mopeds!

Darren

I'm back and smelling of curry - I'm now looking after my sole remaining taste bud and have just about regained the confidence to fart again.
What's this about pulling over for a fry up?? Surely we can get a brew and bacon sarnie on the go whilst we're on the move? I think using gas would be dangerous so we'll be using coal instead.
I've got a Triumph apron but I will need a Standard one Dave :-)

You want fries with that?

Bugger the fry up! With all your recent experience I will be expecting none stop curry on tap. We will have to rig up some sort of funnel arrangement so that I don't spill any whilst driving. Better still how about using a PI pump and some large bore HP hose to pump the curry straight from the cooker to the driver?

When you've had curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner in one day you do start to tire of it a little but then I only really had it for 2 meals a day for rest of the two and a half weeks. We did go have a pizza one day but relented and still had curry lemonade!
Curried monkey brains are not so good though, bit spongy and well nasty really.

timbancroft61 wrote:
So Mr Baxter decision made?

From the amount of feedback about entries I have seen, I think entry places for the RBRR will go very quickly!

Up to about 85% now!

Trying to grab me a co-driver (or two)! Actually have one lined up but she is yet to pass her test  :-/, and I worry about the logic of dragging her away from a bottle of wine for 48 hours, if she came along I'd have to attach a bottle to a stick and mount it on the front of the car I think - and there'd be problems with corners!

Either way I'm intending to become a fully paid up club member when I get paid this month so that'll be sorted at the least, and get badgering suitable friends and relations who I think can put up with me for 48 hours straight. Anyhow, I'm sort of doing a mini-run at christmas, pretty much Brooklands in Surrey to the Blyth control stop and back with a few detours, 700 miles by myself.

I think we'll have to let the Atlas join in for the amusement factor alone. He can then get sponsorhip on things like "how many eggs we break/ eat on the run", "how many gallons of tea drunk/ tea mpg" etc. Are you going to install a toilet as well? For heaven's sake take the corners slowly. Perhaps we should give you a head start so you can get the bacon on the go in time for us arriving at Blyth?

Bacon in Blyth?

Nah, having lived up that way for most of my youth the best plan is to get the first car there to throw some fishing lines off the pier and haul up some crabs! Fond memories of going fishing there and just ending up having to help my dad cut about 20 metres of fishing wire from the chassis of a Hillman Husky as about 50 crabs had scuttled the wire everywhere.

Nowt else in Blyth though, I'd vote for moving that stop to St Mary's Lighthouse in Whitley Bay - that way I can pop home for a cuppa!

Reckon the Atlas should be allowed along too, just think of the spares. And the bacon.

Now we're getting serious - chips! I will need more coal to cook chips and perhaps something other than EP90 for the frying :-)

Well it doesn't look as pretty as the one in Barry's photo which incidentally was the first Atlas I'd ever seen, Stoneleigh about 3 or 4 years ago?

The Canley "chip Chariot" looks like this

Archived