I've been more and more tempted by the RBRR every time I meet someone who has actually done it, I think it was the bloke who owns the beautifully "used" white GT6 at the TSSC show in Leatherhead who might have properly cemented the idea in my mind.

Contemplating the 2008 run, definately intend to do it at some point, 2008 is only a maybe at present yet - unless you manage to persuade me otherwise.

As my plan of eventually buying a GT6 and shoehorning my 6 foot 3 frame into it isn't on the books for a while I'm wondering about the practicality of doing the run in a stock Herald 1200 Saloon, bizarrely it's probably one of the least improved heralds out there, no 2.0 litre engine, no overdrive, the only "shiny" bits in the engine bay are a new oil filter and head gasket - and I like it more for being like that!

Many people managed to do it pottering along at 65mph the whole way? Would get to see the scenery properly I guess!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heralds certainly aren't incapable of doing the distance on the timings suggested. Some of the time of course it's dark anyway so the scenery around Jedbugh - Inverness and Glasgow - Bristol isn't really visible at any speed. Once you've done an RBRR you can't not do one again - it's addictive and great fun!

It's a 'reliability run' not a speed rally (oh, no, officer, not at all!) or a race (certainly not, M'Lud!).
The organisers go to some lengths to make sure that it is possible at perfectly legal speeds (it would be illegal to do otherwise!) and to provide ways of catching up if you get delayed.   IMHO, you will enjoy it more if you make up a team of three, as it is (just) possible to rest in the back of a Herald while the others drive and navigate.  Not possible in a GT6!

Go for it!

John

I did the RBRR for the first time in Katie Foreman's 13/60 Herald as a co-driver last year. The event is absolutely fantastic. I had a great time. You don't have to drive flat out at 70MPH+ to keep up with the others and keep to the time schedule. We were always running behind but that was because the car had a number of issues. The event is timed (I mean the stages and windows of stage opening/closing) so that a car the keeps to the speed limits (etc) should be able to make the journey round and get all signatures.

I would recommend the event to anyone. I will be doing the event next year in my Spitfire with my girlfriend or co-driving if anyone will have me!!

Cheers, Neil

The timings for the event are based upon doing the run in a herald.
An overdrive box would help, but plenty complete using bog std. cars. Last year we had a number of them take part. In fact one of the youngest people ever to undertake the run used his Herald 1200 saloon in 2006 with 2 co-drivers.

As most will know we have 15 Controls around the Country that must be visited to gain that all important signature, these controls are only open for one hour. The reason for the controls is to erm control the speed of the event and make it pointless to race around. The event is run as a Touring Assembly and has a permit for this issued by the MSA.

I have done 5 of these RBRRs and enjoyed it so much that I got involved with CT and seem to have become the RBRR organiser as well as Club Secretary- not totally sure how this happened! So it would be fair to say that the RBRR has changed my life. The event is so popular that I think about 70% of the entry are CT members who have done it before, some as many as 15 times- 30 years of entry -step forward Tim Hunt!!!!

Entry for the 2008 event opens with the publication of the November issue of 'Club Torque' on approx. 15/11/07. I expect the take up of places to be swift. Luckily I have managed to get a good team of helpers around me, the latest addition being Jason Chinn- Jason on this Forum- Jase will be handling the processing of entries.

The RBRR is not a 'Mickey Mouse' event, it has been run since 1966 and has so far raised over £230K for various Charities since going 'Charitable' in 1992.

It has a serious aspect but it is superb fun and the Club welcomes all Triumph owners (Well all CT members, one needs to be a member of CT to enter the event) to take part in a Triumph.

B_Baxter: you would be more than welcome, are you a CT member?

RBRR 2008: Its gonna be great!

b_baxter wrote:
I've been more and more tempted by the RBRR every time I meet someone who has actually done it, I think it was the bloke who owns the beautifully "used" white GT6 at the TSSC show in Leatherhead who might have properly cemented the idea in my mind.

Are you implying my GT6 is knackered, manky and in desperate need of TLC?  :o

'Cos if you are, you'd be absolutley right!  ;D

I remember having that conversation with you.  Is the young lady you were with also keen to do it?

Having a Herald I'd try to get a team of three.  One can then kip in the back while the other two drive and navigate.  Much easier than only two if you've never done it before.

It is a genuinely brilliant event though.  The sense of achievement is excellent and of course we raise a load of dosh for charity too.  Everyone's a winner! ;D

All the best cars are in need of a little TLC, they can't be worth driving if you've time enough to clean under the wheelarches at 6:40 am on a rainy sunday morning! (As one spitfire owner was spotted doing that weekend - we were still plodding on with the wine at that time ...)

The young lady who I was with is under no circumstances sharing a car with me for 48 hours, she a) can't drive, b) can't navigate and c) insists on falling asleep instead of keeping me awake. That was a long round trip to Minehead the week after that was, and there were harsh words! All forgiven now though, the beer purchased to say sorry works wonders.

I'm currently proposing the idea of it to a few mates of mine, some vague interest actually so I shall get badgering, and yeah, a team of 3 would be the ideal really. Either try it in my Herald or split the cost of a cheap Acclaim (as I bizarrely want one anyway to cart around Kayaks).

Wondering about a little side challenge to see who on the RBRR can use the least petrol ...

Dont think about it, as soon as the entry opens just do it.

Then worry!

Once your there and the event has started the buzz you will feel will make you realise whatever happens you have made the right choice!

Ash.

Tim,
Perhaps Mr.Baxter's idea needs to be looked at.  After the last 10CR there was some guilty concern about the Green/PR aspects of the event, and talk of forest planting, so this might help.   The optimum speed in top is about 50mph, so in theory an 'economist' should be able to keep up and make the controls.

Mr.Baxter - If you want to do this, I think you're elected 'Economy Secretary'!  Will you work out the details?

John

Haha, I didn't intend to suggest that the RBRR become an economy run, just a little jokey side competition for those who have their cars running so well that (incidently) they end up being highly efficient! Surely a very efficient car is also a reliable car?

I'd suggest a bonsai tree as a prize.

Anyway, I'm jumping the gun, I still need to figure out if I can make the 2008 RBRR, and whether friends and family will use any entry on my part as an excuse to get me sectioned.

I did it for the first time in 1998.........never looked back.

Love it, love it, love it!!

Entry form will be sent in the DAY it lands on my doormat in Club torque.

2008, hopefully be doing it in the Stag (with the roof down, but don't tell the wife/co-pilot!!)

Can't wait, getting RBRR fever just talking about it.

Do it, you will not regret it.......

AlanChatterton wrote:
....don't tell the wife/co-pilot!!)

Is that one person or two???  ;D

I will be back in '08 to see if I can actually finish the whole thing this time - bl**dy car......
And I, too, have been doing this event since 1998, with Chatterton the first couple of times. Then we obviously decided we don't like each other enough to want to spend 48hrs in close proximity to each other as we've always taken part in the Run but in separate cars.....  ::)
Although, after he sold me the car we were travelling in during the 2000 event, somewhere between Inverness and Wick, perhaps I just decided I couldn't AFFORD to be in the same car again  ::)

Anyway, Mr Baxter, the fact that you've even asked the question shows that you're already 3 quarters of the way to taking part. Just Do It! You won't regret it.
And even if you do, it'll be too late as we'll already have yer money......!  :o

Dave2000 wrote:
Anyway, Mr Baxter, the fact that you've even asked the question shows that you're already 3 quarters of the way to taking part. Just Do It! You won't regret it.
And even if you do, it'll be too late as we'll already have yer money......!  :o

Good point, I'd say I'm two thirds of the way though! Would be straight there if I had more than just my Herald as transport too, having a little lookout for another sub-£600 classic (preferably a triumph but open minded!) that runs and requires no bloody welding (I'll learn one day).

Must. Stop. Self. From. Getting. Excited. About. RBRR.

Anyone want to lend me a GT6?  ;D

"Anyone want to lend me a GT6" nope :)
Actually the perfect car is probably a saloon... however going it in a GT will teach you to stay awake for about 36 hours, sleep for 1 or 2, then be awake for the next 30 or so. Fun Fun!

economy run! haha! In that case I propose an 'highest average cockpit temperature' run...

Archived