• 3 weeks later...

I made a concerted start on tidying up the drivers side rusty bits (front wheel arch, rear wheel arch, rear lower panel).  I couldn't stand the sight of the bubbling rust any longer.   Apart from that, it should be okay for 2010.    However, .........

if I don't make at least a decent attempt at getting the GT6 ready for the next RBRR, a certain Mr. B might veto my application.   This will be the 3rd promise it will appear I think.  

Nick J.

What about polishing it, will you be able to polish a t*rd?

Not sure who my co-driver will be, hopefully my old mate Richard, last RBRR in 2002, if him it'll be the GT6. Otherwise if Howard from last time it's to be the 2.5-bit easy though in the saloon!

• 2 months later...

Vinnyfastcar wrote:
It's never too early to start preparing the car for the RBRR, so what do you still need to do to get your car ready for the 2010 event ?

Just did a very important job this weekend: rebuilt the rear brakes (new shoes, cylinders, new spring set, new trailing-arm copper pipes) and full set of braided hoses front and rear.

Nearside cylinder was leaking, offside was seized. Noticed a couple of oddities: I'm sure the larger part of the self-adjusting mechanism was installed back to front on both shoes, according to the picture in the Haynes manual, so reinstalled it on the new shoes the correct way round. Also on one of the cylinders, the bleed nipple and the pipe connection were fitted the wrong way round (i.e. the bleed nipple was screwed into the upper thread, the pipe connection into the lower, angled thread.) Not sure how detrimental this would be to brake performance, if at all?

Jobs I'm almost certainly going to have to do/have done before next October:
New clutch
New propshaft UJs
New screen washer motor (mine's soooo weak)

Archived