Fit a new clutch, replace the steering rack,  fit stronger back springs, standard is not up to the job, even N.O.S. and perhaps an ARB. Might consider PAS, but not essential.

Replace the diff.

Find some more oil pressure.

Fit bigger alternator.

Stop screen leaking, and boot.

and fit more blue led's.

flashing perhaps??

:-)

Colin

Colin - let me know how you are going to stop the screen leaking. I had put some sealant around the bottom corner edges - of course that wasn't enough and it still came in :(

As for stuff to do... new steering linkage bits... that's about it... a bigger engine would be nice...

Find out why it has no guts (will check tappet this morn..... when I can be arsed)
Sort out the exhaust, again.
Get the brakes working.
I need to check the back over as it felt very wobbly on the way home. It's also making some odd sounds there but that might be down to how low the car was.
Fit reclining seats!
Stop water get into the car...
Maybe raise the back a touch.

Umm, not sure if I would use the saloon again, if I did, I would:
Fit a bigger alternator, and position the battery into the boot.
Not take as much stuff: Boot was crammed!
New dizzy
New front pulley
The car will need a new gearbox and I suspect the engine should be re-built.

However I feel that if I was asked to do the RBRR next weekend, the only concern would be the gearbox as its dead noisey in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The car was going much better at the finish than at the start. Mainly thanks to Keith Bennetts and Roger Keys carb tuning works-Thanks chaps.

Mega thanks to Pete Connaughton, Tim Smith, Bob King and all who in a dreadful weather (Near Bettyshill after Thurso) helped me to change the wheel bearing: They arrived out of the blue and just got stuck in, many thanks chaps.

For the Acclaim:
Cow-catcher, to keep off the rocks in plastic bags left on Welsh roads.
More IT/comms stuff - live video feed, with commentary, engine data feedback, car to listening-world radio, regular conference calls to the Press aandHot Line to Washington.

For me;
Flight socks - my feet are swollen!

Thanks to Kevin & Vin for letting me drive the Strath Naver road again - din't even put it near the lake this time!
And for being such good team-mates on a really great weekend.

Thanks too to Tim and Neil, all the CT organisers and to the marshals who turned out in fair weather or foul and all times of the day & night to speed us on our way.

John

timbancroft61 wrote:
Umm, not sure if I would use the saloon again, if I did, I would:
Fit a bigger alternator, and position the battery into the boot.
Not take as much stuff: Boot was crammed!
New dizzy
New front pulley
The car will need a new gearbox and I suspect the engine should be re-built.

Tim you missed out 'fit a Lucas metering unit and a set of PI throttle bodies'  :P

JohnD wrote:

Cow-catcher, to keep off the rocks in plastic bags left on Welsh roads.

Where was that John?, I had a couple of very loud bags on my floor pan going through Wales ( a few miles before Brecon) and thought soemthing was wrong with the car, one of them felt like the prop had banged into the transmission tunnel. Being a worrier I also thought I had a noisy transmission after the 2nd knock so suspected a proplem with the prop. When we got to Gordano I checked under the car and I could find nothing wrong, if there were rocks in plastic bags on the road and I hit a couple then that may explain it.

jcarruthers wrote:
Colin - let me know how you are going to stop the screen leaking. I had put some sealant around the bottom corner edges - of course that wasn't enough and it still came in :(

only sure way is to pop the screen out I'm afraid!  Even if seal fairly pooped, copious sealer and refit will do the job.  However mew seal is only around 20 quid - be easier to get the trim back in!

cookie,
We rounded a corner, and there was a white plastic bag in the road.  Very white and clean, I can still see the two handle parts sticking up like rabits ears but wider apart.   Vin had to decide very quickly to risk a violent swerve or drive over it - I would have done the same which was drive over with the left front wheel.    The impact was remarkable, not just a bang underneath, and while I was asking Vin if the steering was all right, he was saying the tyre's gone.   Quick as that.

Inspection later found an impact point halfway down the left sill, that had penetrated the metal.  Stae of the wheel/tyre TBA as we didn't stop after changing it to inspect.

IMHO, this was not a wrapped spare tyre (too clean and the sill hole too pointy) but a rock or perhaps a breeze block in a new plastic bag to disguise it.   RBRR crews a few minutes behind us saw nothing, so either it was thrown into the verge or taken away.    If so, it wouldn't be the first time that rallies have been sabotaged, for fun or in protest of some sort.

John

Quote:
two handle parts sticking up like rabits ears but wider apart.

It might have been one of those 'hard' rabbits from Wales,

The Killer Rabbit from the Cave of Caerbannog ("caer bannog" being Welsh for "turreted castle"), legend has it it would have taken our heads off if we hadn't taken it out with the Classic Acclaim first......

The plan is to enter the Saloon in 2010. Spending 48 hours non-stop in the Spit (plus the 1000 mile round trip to get to the start and back home again) just doesn't appeal even though it's got good seats and is quite a bit quieter since it got its fancy new exhaust.

Rather a big to do list for the Saloon though ??)

The first of the outer sills is about to get cut off to see what it's like in there. Full replacement both sides if necessary.

Also have two OE front wings to fit. BTW thanks to Chic Doig for keeping these for me -- I really do need to go and collect (and pay for) them  :X

Front and rear valances need stripped, repairs probably necessary.

Underseal stripped from the floor plan, boot floor etc to see what's under it -- repair where necessary then POR15 and Chassis Black the whole lot.

Diff and gearbox need overhauled. They're both getting noisy.

New springs, dampers and complete rebush required to front and rear suspension.

About the only things that I reckon don't need attention are the engine and O/D but since the gearbox has to come out might as well do the engine as well (it's needs a bit of a pep up in any case -- these late 2000TCs are pretty sluggish).

So that's all :X

Probable got to aim to get it done in 18 to 20 months to give it a good shakedown before the run. Oh s**t -- better get cracking ??) ;D

• 2 months later...

I've already decided I want to take the Mk1 2000 on the RBRR 2010. The engine seems fine, so that just leaves the noisy gearbox and whiney diff. I also spotted another knackered UJ on one the drive shaft while fitting 1" lowered springs to the rear the other day. (Still got the fronts to do.)
Would like to get some minilites by then as well :)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived