Emergency 10CR Prep Help!

Jonny-Jimbo

Right, I have taken over team number 75 (I think) from Karl due to unforseen circumstances, leaving me just shy of 2 weeks to prepare a car for the 10CR! As I have finished my summer work etc I do have a lot of full days rather than just evenings.

Here's the info I need (as Karl was sorting it, now I have to)

1) What maps do we need?
2) Do we still legally need beam converters to drive on the continent?
3) What equipment must be carried and where in the car? I understand I need a spare set of bulbs and a high viz per person, but what else? Emergency triangle etc? First aid kit?
4) Whats the process for booking ferries? How can I check if I already have a booking, do we do it through the club, or what how?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these are the start!

1.. any map of europe is better than none.. pick one up from any good book shop, petrol station or on ferry.. tomtom satnav.
   2... yes you do..  ferry again..
   3.... bulbs, high viz, triangle, first aid, fire extinguisher, can of fuel....
   4..... contact the organisers for all major info...

J

1) What maps do we need?   Do you have a Sat Nav ? If not a European Map as TriumphStuff Says! (cheapish)
2) Do we still legally need beam converters to drive on the continent?  Insulation tape in the right place will do!
3) What equipment must be carried and where in the car? I understand I need a spare set of bulbs and a high viz per person, but what else? Emergency triangle etc? First aid kit? (LEGAL REQ. Hi-vis vest (france) Triangle (Europe) Fire Ext/First aid kit!
4) Whats the process for booking ferries? How can I check if I already have a booking, do we do it through the club, or what how? Drop Ellis a mail!
I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these are the start
I am sure you will have loads of questions! Remember there are quite a few Triumph doing the route you could tag onto a group or individual!

Karl should have a ferry booking

Order the 2 maps from amazon, it is only £15 and they are good.

Borrow a TomTom if you can, but not essential

Pack hi-viz and triangle within reach of the seats

Pack bulbs in car

Ellis.stokes (at) club . triumph . org . uk

Or ring him at a social hour (please!)

Give car a good check over, if it ain't almost ready to go it is too late (ignore those still trying to get MOT's, they experts at last-minute stuff... :-)

Cheers

Colin

p.s. PANIC!!!

Jonny_Jimbo wrote:
Okay another thing;

Tomtoms, are the nessecary? or just a good idea? I don't have one, but a few friends do, and my car has no lighter socket to plug it in. Any help on that front?

buy one of these and ill wire it in for you at the plough if you want.http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1056

I said just shy of two weeks as it sounds longer than just one.

The car is basically ready to go. Tomorrow I'll do the basics; wheel bearing check, gearbox oil level, brakes, and doing the back end. It's fairly new stuff on the car, so should be okay.

I've got the Roadbook pack, I picked it up at the drivers briefing, but it doesn't seem to mension which maps you actually need?

I'll email Ellis in a few mins then. just to get it from the horses mouth.

Jonny_Jimbo wrote:
Right, I have taken over team number 75 (I think) from Karl due to unforseen circumstances, leaving me just shy of 2 weeks to prepare a car for the 10CR! As I have finished my summer work etc I do have a lot of full days rather than just evenings.

Here's the info I need (as Karl was sorting it, now I have to)

1) What maps do we need?
2) Do we still legally need beam converters to drive on the continent?
3) What equipment must be carried and where in the car? I understand I need a spare set of bulbs and a high viz per person, but what else? Emergency triangle etc? First aid kit?
4) Whats the process for booking ferries? How can I check if I already have a booking, do we do it through the club, or what how?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but these are the start!

You have a long e-mail !!! ;)

Be sure to go and read the hints posted in the 10CR events section.  This will tell you what you need in each country.   One thing not mentioned is the Hi Vis Vest for France.  I am told its a nasty fine if you get out of the car on the roadway without one.  

Goody wrote:
Be sure to go and read the hints posted in the 10CR events section.  This will tell you what you need in each country.   One thing not mentioned is the Hi Vis Vest for France.  I am told its a nasty fine if you get out of the car on the roadway without one.  

No a nasty fine if the police stop you and the Vest is not in the cabbin!!!!
So three people in 1 car you need three Vests in the cabin! From what I am told they look for a UK badge and pull you up for an on the spot fine!

Jeremy clarkson, on one of his shows was wearing the vest during the artical in france and made a point to say how crappy the ruling was!!

Rob

I think the sensible thing is to have a hi-viz jacket per person in the cabin and avoid the possibiility of a fine.  However, my understanding of the regs is that no-one can get out of the car without wearing one - so there must be at least one in the cabin (for the driver to put on and get out of the car wearing) and the there then has to be one each for the passengers available (i.e those ones can be in the boot and dished out to passengers to put on before they get out).  Yes - a pain in the arse but not much sense in incurring an avoidable fine!!

Archived