Oil flinger/ Stoneguard gap on driveshafts

mazfg

Just cleaning up my driveshafts and decided to pump through grease as the stuff in there looks pretty black. I've noticed the oil flinger/ stoneguard has a gap around it of 3mm and I can see the metal oil seal. What should this gap be?

Only wondering as I think it moved slightly away when grease pumping. I tapped it back a little but it caused the movement of the hub to become stiffer, so backed off and its moves smoothly again.  I'm guessing this pushes against the oil seal  now which in turn pushes against the bearing..causing a bit of stiffness. I can't see me closing the gap without the hub becoming stiffer.

Cheers

Yes that gap does look a bit large. I wonder if the grease you have pumped in has pushed out the oil seal so that its in contact with the flinger when you tap that back into place. Looking at the drawing the seal should just protrude from the housing when it has been fully knocked home against an internal shoulder.
If you can get the flinger back a bit you should be able to check the seal and with a flat edge tap it back in if necessary. The only risk is that with the movement the flinger might loosen on the shaft.....

So, couldn't leave it alone. What seems to have happened (as you saud)is the oil seal has moved out and is snagging on the flinger.  Will try n tap it away and then tap the seal  back in.
When i tap the seal in, should the seal be flush with the hub casing. ..ie. how far should it go in?

JUst a little resistance then the oil seal moved slightly followed by very black old grease.  I pumped til the grease looked good.
Looking at the other. .it also has a gap and I guess over time the seal has been pushed out through grease pressure?

Quoted from glang
The other thing is does it really matter? Would you dismantle the rear hubs and everything anyway? What about just pushing the seal in as far as possible, then slide the flinger along without making contact and getting on with enjoying driving it.....

of course. ..was never going to completely dismantle.   Just going to tap flinger away from hubeing. .enough to then tap the seal back in and then tap the flinger back along. The bearings are all good anyway.  Only brought to light due to the seal moving after pushing lots of grea see through.

After the last bearing change I found I'd buggered this part up to the point it was rattling loose on the shaft. I stuck it in place with a dollop of bitumen/fibre roofing sealant and let it cure for a few days before driving. No further problems, though I'll have to look at replacing the next time it's all apart.

Flinger tapped back, oil seal now rseated ok and flinger found to also be rattling due to shaft taper....  I cleaned up, and pushed up against hub. dollops of glue gun around the fit, brought back by a few mm and then hot air gun to let it run in around fit. Plenty more glue gun aorund shaft above flinger (for good measure). Looks somewhat unsightly but it'll do the job 😀 and shaft spins nicely still.