Topping up gearbox and differential oil.

Spitfire1500

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what the best/easiest way to top up my gearbox and differential oil is?  My car had a good go today, going to Oxford and back and I don't think the differential was really topped up that well when it had been replaced.

I have a Haynes manual but I'm not sure how good it will be and if it might miss anything out that I perhaps should note.

If it helps, I have a force feed oil can too which I could use.

Thanks,

David

Gearbox does need the tunnel out (unless somebody has already cut/butchered an access panel in it!) and the square headed plug removing, fill till it just starts coming out the box, car level of course. Same for diff. Its all in the book! I use an oilcan with a long flexi pipe attached for the diff after strugging squeezing bottles and getting covered in oil. Much less grief sitting next to the cr rather than under it!

At the risk of sounding like a butcher, as Mr Hangar puts it, making a door in the gearbox tunnel this time will make it much easier to check the oil in future. You'll see where the door should go once the tunnel is out. It's easier to make one if you have a fibreglass cover, as you can glass in hinges, but there's no reason why a tight-closing, fume proof door couldn't be added to a cardboard cover.

Sorry, no help for the diff, that's a much less enjoyable task!

Mr Hanger indeed!
I have access panels in mine, but cut as neat as possible, used a piece of ally sheet with foam strips around the edges and held in place by self tappers and those clippy things for screwing self tappers into. Works well. Did have to butcher one tunnel in an emergency years ago on the way to the ISW in Holland, gaffer tape worked then! In fact gaffer tape is also good around the edge of the gearbox tunnel for extra sealing, when the rubbers don't fit that well. And fixing tents etc etc etc

Hehe, I suppose it was a bit of a silly question to ask!

Anyway, going to attempt to top them up after work or when I get back to my garage. Going to swing by the motor factors tonight and pick up an angle grinder, wire brush, some more primer, some paint and a socket set (at long last).

Going to be a bit expensive but they're things I need!

Thanks again,

David

Uh oh, a grinder. :o

Also, when you top it up be aware that you will get oil on you, no matter how carful you are. And also to leave it until it stops dripping once you've filled it up. Too much oil in it and you'll run a risk of blowing the seals.

Or you could use a large grommet, 2 7/8" grommets are available from all good Triumph suppliers :) They are originally intended for the jacking points on early TRs. Cutting a suitable sized round hole in the appropriate place on the gearbox tunnel shouldn't be too difficult, even an original material one. It's what was used on early Heralds as a standard fitment for easy servicing.

When buying your sockets, remember that standard set are all set for normal hexagonal nuts. The drain plug on both is square (7/16 I think). Ring spanners the same.
The only people I found that make that size socket is Strap On, sorry, Snap On. Cost a few quid, but easier than using an open ender that slips off and you skin your knuckles on the hot exhaust.   Been there, done that! Even snapped one cheap spanner on a tight drain plug....no substitute for decent tools.

Archived