Fan clutch rebuild?

H1ll8illy

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, my name is Kelly and I live in the Pacific Northwest of the USA. I have a 1977 Triumph Spitfire that has a bad fan clutch. I'm having trouble finding information about this particular part. Is it a viscous clutch or the other type? Having trouble remembering what the other type was.
The clutch was making noise when it was on the car, and the fan could be moved back and forth (when the car was off, Silly!), so I pulled it to have a closer look. What I found was that the inner race had excessive play in it. Now, is this the inner race of a bearing or some infernal element only found on a fan clutch? Can I simply press the bearing out and purchase a new one at the local industrial supply? Or is what looks like an outer race actually part of the clutch mechanism?
I am asking this because a bearing should cost considerably less than a new clutch, which Moss is selling for about $180.
Thanks in advance for any responses.  

I think you will find the bearing you speak of is an integral part of the viscous coupling.
Sorry.
Here in the UK the soloution is to replace the water pump and fit a fixed fan.
An alternative is to remove the viscous and fit an electric fan.

I had this on mine, the bearing gave up and made an awful noise, luckily? the water pump started leaking so i replaced it with an early  1500 water pump and got a 2nd hand fan off ebay for a few quid, much better and nothing to go wrong, it does seem to make less noise as well.

rich

Well here in the US we got the full size radiators, so the fan clutch is actually usefull. I'll have to think on your suggestions though. Whatever I do it is going to cost me. The electric fan is about $130 and they don't give away water pumps.

1794 wrote:
Well here in the US we got the full size radiators, so the fan clutch is actually usefull. I'll have to think on your suggestions though. Whatever I do it is going to cost me. The electric fan is about $130 and they don't give away water pumps.

Hi
just buy a universal sucker fan and use the pull tie fixing kit supplied with them to fix to the rear of the radiator.  I did this on my mk3 gt6 and all for about £30 ($45)

I've been through fan clutch failures more than once. On a Spitfire, I ended up going with the plastic fan (circa early 1970s?). On at least 140 series Volvo (yes, it's the same fan clutch), I stayed with the fan clutch (got a good used one from a junkyard). I prefer the option I chose for the Spitfire!

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried to replace the viscous coupling to a more accessible?
Originally in Poland is very expensive about 250EUR. Visco from Volvo 1800P and 140 also is available.
Standard cost visco from new cars 25 to 40EUR

I greet
Bogdan

Archived