'New' TR7 - questions: interior, paint, clutch

Thomas4

• 2 weeks later...

Finally fitted a stainless steel braided clutch hose. While the clutch still doesn't release with the pedal half-way in, it does release quite a bit before the pedal is on the floor and also it is more controllably, so I am happy with it.

Don't know if I should still suspect that an incorrect clutch cover (as mentioned by Beans) was fitted. The person I bought the car from who said the clutch had always been like it was bought the car 22y ago when it had 50k km. How likely was it that TR7 clutches would fail within the first 50k km from new?

Yes I think so, too, now, but thanks for the inside knowledge about the distribution of incorrect TR7 clutch covers, in case I will ever need one I will be warned :-D . I had 2 people 'feel' the old clutch hose whether it expanded when I depressed the clutch pedal and they said no they couldn't say, but given its length it was probably impossible even if it did and only a very slight expansion makes a substantial difference in the clutch travel considering the small volumes of clutch fluid used for the hydraulic clutch operation.

(Anyway maybe I should be glad the clutch hasn't worked smoothly for most of its life, because otherwise the previous owner might have driven this car more than 32k km in 22y.)

• 11 months later...

Hi Beans

are these before/after pictures? The tan ones (before picture?) look better than mine do. You should have given those tan ones to me in exchange for mine and the trimmer could have refurbished mine instead :-) .

Regards
Thomas

Ive got a late convertible with this seat fabric, although mine is blue. was told its the same as late TR8`s and as such only fitted to the last cars. Both s&S and Robsport told me they had looked into getting covers made but with no luck as no one was willing to tool up for the amount required.
Apparently when the factory stopped making the cars the unused fabric all went in the skip and was also taken by workers to make curtains!

Tan Velour or Navy Velour trim was fitted to export model TR7 and 1981 model TR8's. It is now completely unobtainable. A Navy velour seat base sold for £535 GBP recently on ebay.. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120733460299&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

Some unused navy velour sold for £510 GBP http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120733469512&ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT

Its highly unlikely any more gold or navy will resurface. There was an export model TR7 for sale in the UK with tan velour interior which sold on ebay for just under £2000 GBP and I considered bidding on it just for the interior! It's still out there somewhere...

I hope you kept the velour interior you removed!

Steve

steve wrote:
... Some unused navy velour sold for £510 GBP ...

Some people spend ridiculous money on originality in my opinion,
that kind of money buys you some very nice refurbished leather seats.
They should take the car out for a proper drive instead :X

... so it looks like I won't throw away the old seats now  ;D € € € € € €

... so it looks like I won't throw away the old seats now   € € € € € €  :P I was just thinking the same ...

I think the checkerboard interior can be considered original, too, and I was not too fond of the velours look. But I really wish somebody would manufacture new sunvisors.

Archived