new clutch or not ?

Camo

I shall be upgrading my gearbox this Xmas hols to the O/D one while I have my few days off but I want to change the clutch as I have a slight judder on pull away. I think was due to oil ingress... which is now solved.

Now I do have a clutch which came with the O/D box and 2ltr engine, the plate was seized on but when I took the gearbox off it was easy enough to free off. there is some extremely light flaking obviously where it had stuck, can I use this clutch ? Or should I replace the plate or the whole 3 pieces for new ? as you know I am on a budget and I hate to buy items I already have !!
But I don't want to have to take out the gearbox again in the near future because I was too tight to buy a £50 clutch set.
thoughts please ...

Stuart

I'd take the opposite view!! I've freed off a few seized clutches on long idle cars over the years by ye olde bump start and rev method, and never had any subsequent trouble with them.

As long as there's plenty of meat left on the plate it should be fine and will soon clean up with a bit of regular use....don't waste your money!

And check the quality of the £50 clutch. I wouldn't fit anything but borg&beck or better complete laycock. The new clutch could well be worse than the old.
I have fitted good used clutches taken from engines out of cars or on replacement engines etc. Never had a problem. Only the unbranded clutches already in a vitesse, herald aand a spit 1500 have given any bother.
Dont forget to look at the clutch cover "fingers" for wear (heavy grooves) and release bearing if in doubt, good ones are about £10.

Clive

Stuart. you do not say what type of o/d box you are fitting. if the normal vitesse should have the smaller number of splines on the shaft. However I fitted a J type box to my vitesse and this had, I think, 23 splines. So needed a different clutch. Makes a fab difference to the car and driving it. well worth the effort.  Malc.

The gearbox is has a D type O/D with the lesser amount of splines and one of the clutches I have is a 3 piece Borg and Beck unit, on inspection it looks pretty damn good so i will be fitting this rather than getting a new one!
thanks for the advice all...
I also have a spare 1600 engine and gearbox, is that clutch the same ?

Stuart

Archived