Steering column movement

GreenV8Machine

Jst the rubber bush. Pain to refit the bolts with the new bush in place. You need the column back through it to line it up, but it then gets in teh way of the top bolt.
pushing teh column through after doing up the top bolt is impossible, I gave up in the end.

Cheers

Colin

You reckon the new column will go in more easily?

I changed the bulkhead bush on my mk2 some years ago and it was a right ball ache getting the column back into its splined hole far enough for the bolt to go through.

With someone pushing hard on the wheel from inside the car, it finally went into place.

Then I discovered my not so beautiful assistant had got the column about 45 degrees out which played havoc with the self cancelling of the indicators...................

Fixed it properly a couple of years later................

I've done 3 Mk 2's. the first one I had an extra pair of hands but the last 2 I did by my self. Wire brushed the splines and greased. Made sure that they easily went together. Undid top clamp lined up both bits carefully and just gave the column a push. First time took a couple of tries, second one straight on!

well thats done, polybush in hot water for a few minutes beforehand, greased the apperture, installed with top screw firmly in, greased the new column and it went in with some lower end jiggling and upper end pushering! then bottom 2 screws in. No play in the steering what so ever  :) 8)
New steering column actually has splines on the bottom end too  ;D

Archived