Steering rack question

Mr Elsie

When you say column...

If it's the outer column that is moving , then as above.

If the outer column is fixed and the inner is moving then you need new bushes.  There are two, they can either be removed or driven further down the column to allow fitting of the new ones.  A simple job but you do need to remove the column.

I don't think either of you realise that Triumph fitted one of the first steering column safety features.

The column is in two parts, the upper, attached to the steering wheel is a tube and the lower that reaches the steering rack a solid rod. They are joined below the outer column by a clamp, aka "impact clamp".   In case of an accident/impact, the rod could slide up the tube, preventing the steering wheel crushing the drivers chest.

See your WSM for the correct adjustment procedure, which IS important. Tighten the two clamp bolts, THEN the Allen screw and locknut.   If your steering wheel moves up and down along it's length then you must check this.

If the steering column rod, in the engine compartment can also move up and down, then you need to check the clamp at the steering rack, and posisbly the steering rack U-clamps.   ANY play in the stereing is potentially very dangeroussi
John

John D - that depends on your definition of "up and down", I'd have called that "in and out" movement if the clamp was loose!  And how much play do you call movement ?  Oh the joys of long distance diagnosis  :)  It's one of the reasons that, however well meant, you have to add a bit of common sense to any advice given over the internet...

I did say, "If your steering wheel moves up and down along it's length...." but I didn't say the length of the column.

How much play?  What did I say? ANY play.
Well, almost any play.

See:
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_220.htm
Reason for rejection
A point on the rim of the steering wheel moves, without the road wheels moving, for more than  
  b.)13mm for rack and pinion steering.
That's just over half an inch.

But back to Mr.Elsie.  What do YOU mean by 'up and down'?

John

if it moves in /out,or back an forth as some may say then its either the clamp or the joint at the bottom as JD says
if its going up /doon  frae wind screen to your nether parts, and also  side to side frae drivers to passenger sides, then its inner bushes.
or also the mounting bit under neath the dash, 2 allen bolts hold rack to dash.
also could be the dash support brackets nuts / bolts have come loose,
OR have actually sheared off.

I know some ones wheel actually waves at folk, or did., :o :o :o

Is that clear,is to me, but then I no what im on aboot, ;) ;)

M(whistle)(whistle)

JohnD wrote:

But back to Mr.Elsie.  What do YOU mean by 'up and down'?

John

I grabbed the shaft that runs down to the knuckle from inside the engine bay and it moves up and down (it has a thread on the end that runs into a knuckle.

The steering wheel also moves up And down. The clamp is loose I think as the indicators move if you grab the wheel and yank it like an hour ago when I had to be recovered on the m58...

Bent pushrod and valve spring stuck.....

• 3 months later...

Can anyone advise how key the spring clip is on the steering column (part 609639).  Does this fit under the upper clamp?

Also, what is the clip cancelling or trafficator clip (140549) used for?

Reviewed my rack now I've got my dash out and also discovered I had no anti torque bar.

What age is the car ? the later spitfire did not have a separate  antitorque feature  as they redesigned and simplified the whole thing with the TR7 type  column which had more substantial mounts ..
The raised clip as described should be positioned to be level such that equal movement of the wheel in either direction lock to lock will trip the turn indicator stalk back to rest after a turn signal .. if found not to be properly aligned , then it use is not to full advantage ..

Mr Elsie,
609639 is fairly important as it makes the upper column clamp actually clamp the outer column. Without it the clamp doesn't hold well. It is more important in the early cars that don't have the anti-torque bar.
                                                                    Cheers,
                                                                    Paul