gt6 mk3 spring and shocks

mpbarrett

I am planning an overhaul of the front suspension on my GT6 (mk3). The springs on both sides looks strangly bent, springs dont seems to be concentric with the shocks, see pics, is this normal or whats going on?
I am planning to change the shocks and probably the springs as well on both sides (as well as all the bushes joints and probably the uprights).
What is to be gained by going for the more expensive adjustable shocks rather the standard stuff??
cheers
mike

And the std ones sold by just about everybody are not too clever in terms of doing their job, I would fork out for a set of Koni's, have quality that lasts just about forever.
As to springs, that bend is pretty common, but replace if you wish as they are not over expensive, you could even get stronger springs that really improve the drive of the car with very little effect on comfort

I agree completely with Clive. Other than cost (still well worth it, in my opinion, if you want the best), the only downside of Konis is that they are not externally adjustable. As for "forever": yeah, I'd have to agree on that. I've sets of Konis that are very, very old (I'm talking from the late 1960s or early 1970s) that are still completely functional!

Mike

Konis are reported to be very good, but are rather expensive and the probelm with adjustable damping is where to set them too, particularly with Konis as it's not easy to adjust them - unlike Spax and Gaz which are cheaper can be adjusted in situ.

I have not tried Monroes, but they have a good reputation and these seem good value to me, not adjustable though.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shock-absorbers-Triumph-Vitesse-2-Front-62-68_W0QQitemZ200385298457QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2ea7e50019

I agree with Clive, springs are not too expensive, so would recommend new, uprated ones.

Glen

Mike:

Is your car is a swing spring car?

Have to agree with Clive. If keeping the car, go Konis.

Springs: 440lb items + Spacer+ Lower wishbone shims for 1 degree of neg camber if the springs do not give you that-turn in will be very good then.
Polybush all around.
Renew anti roll bar link as that will be tired to say the least.

Rear end: Konis, lowering block and polybushed radius arms.

I would hesitate about doing the front without sorting the rear end, do both.

When done get four wheel aligned-you will need to take some radius arm mount to body  shims to adjust the toe in-toe out.

It will seem like a go cart compared to the std worn out set up-makes the car seem so much better planted, almost modern!

thanks for all the helpful replies.
Tim it is a swing spring setup (late mk3 with the crap auto adjusting rear brakes). Have already replaced rear end bushes with poly ones, made a bit difference to handling. Have also replaced rack mounting again really helped!

I just want to have something that is more stable and predictable than what I have at present,  Koni's seem to be the best but are very expensive.

As to the future well I was tempted by the idea of a TR6 but having driven a few and looked at lots have started to appreciate the GT6 again. I was also disapointed by the TR6 performance my GT6 has a balanced 2.5l ex TR6 engine on twin SU's and seems more fun to drive than a TR6. Not sure if its the actual performance or more likely the perceived performance!
Also I have put a lot of time and effort into the GT6 and want to get some fun out of it. So its staying, need to sort out the front and fix some iffy electricals and if I can, find someone to fit a decent sunroof!

Even with doing all of this it will still be much cheaper than buying a TR! And Libby didnt want me to sell it.....

mike

Archived