Dynamo and electrical problems

TimEllis

Quoted from glang-

have you tried disconnecting the ign light connector at the reg.? An earth fault on this wire would leave the ign light permanently on.....

Yes I have the light goes out when it is pulled out of the regulator. 

I'd like to drive it but I need to do 200 miles to home and I don't want to damage anything. The car is at a relatives, thankfully I have my manual with me but not all my tools.

The relief when it is fixed will be something but it does no confidence for my partner who thinks I should just sell the car, she won't even get in it now.

T

Quoted from TimEllis-

The relief when it is fixed will be something but it does no confidence for my partner who thinks I should just sell the car, she won't even get in it now.

I feel your pain on that one. My partner (who has taken part in 12-car navigationals with me in the GT6) needed persuasion to let me use the Vitesse for our holiday in Scotland, and is still very reluctant to ride in the Spitfire. They've both had fuel delivery problems and she won't accept they work at all now until I've done several big journeys without even a tiny glitch.

So the ignition light is on bright, I've taken another reading from the back of the dynamo and it is no existent  so I guess it is junk. It was brand new old stock and I tested it and it seemed right so I am mystified why I have such a low reading if any. I can only think I might have buggered it up along the way and been distracted by so many people passing by and stopping and then asking if you can still get tyres for it! patience levels -25 so it is tea time and I think I'll have to have a rethink.

where exactly have you measured on the dynamo? Its not easy to measure dynamo output when its connected to the system because you could just be measuring battery voltage.

The best way according to the manual is to disconnect the two wires at 'B' on the reg but leave them well connected to each other. Then start the engine (just the battery will now be supplying everything) and measure the volts to earth on terminal 'B'.

Maybe the dynamo has somehow become de-polarised? 

I've done it as it says in the manual, and nothing. I've also repolarised the dynamo and tested it again. 

The car runs but the ignition light still is bright. I also rechecked all the wiring and everything is fine so unless I have a faulty regulator box again, I'm stumped. 

I am going to leave it for a bit and have a break, I may well call the garage locally and take it in. I think it doesn't help when you are not confident with your abilities and really should give it to an expert.

ok have a blow but from what youve done so far I think your underestimating your abilities.

Above I said test at terminal 'B' of the reg but the manual actually says 'D' and if this is where you found no voltage it means theres no dynamo output getting there. However if there is a reading at 'D' and not 'B' then the problem is in the reg....

Thank you but I must say I am sure an expert would have had the thing fixed in an hour not 24hrs like me!

So after more head scratching I bought a second regulator box, fitted it and the same problem. I took it back and exchanged it for an alternator conversion and after more swearing and the modification of some brackets etc I have it fitted. I wired everything up and it started up, the ignition light went out and the bearing noise had gone. I can only think as everyone has suggested that the regulator box was faulty as was the second and my original had just failed. Plus the dynamo had failed and the second may well have been fine but I guess we will never know. I suppose the regulator is one of those things you should carry as a spare but I guess there is no guarantee it works. I've boxed up the spare dynamo and brackets and may one day revert back if I return the car to original condition.

My Vitesse is from 1962 and a very early one, covering only 48,000 miles from new. I have always been reluctant to change things and alter the car but in the last two years I've changed the radiator for the larger type, dispensing with the header tank as I couldn't find a water tight replacement and now I've fitted an alternator. I suppose it will be more reliable but it is just a shame that these two things have happened despite it being so reliable. I've only ever broken down once and fixed it in 2 minutes by the side of the road. 

Thanks again everyone for the advice and help. I'm very much looking forward to driving it and getting down to a few shows.

Tim

well a bit disappointing that it gave so many problems but at least now you have a cast iron (hopefully) set up that should be able to take anything you can throw at it.

Looking on line theres comments about new regs needing the contacts cleaning of storage lube and even setting adjustments so maybe that was the issue with yours....

Yes true, I am really pleased with it and I hope it doesn't cause any problems in the future. It certainly sounds good and maybe I am just relieved but the whole car sounds more capable and strong. 

That is very interesting to know and more than likely I guess. I'll check it out and pass on any feedback I had. What I did find strange was the inside looked absolutely sparkling and I couldn't seen anything wrong. I definitely think the supplier selling these things should suggest they need cleaning and setting up, it would certainly help identify problems and narrow issues down but then I guess I should expect to have to do these things and stuff off the shelf always needs adjusting. I must admit I don't think I'd be capable of getting this right anyway and think in hindsight I should have done the mod a while ago but then its been like that since new and only failed once in the 20 years I've owned it.

Thanks again.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

I had another look yesterday and checked all the things I did carefully to check what I had done and why I couldn't get the original set up to work. I am not going to replace it back but I did think its would be good to try and see where I failed. I am definitely of the conclusion that the original regulator box failed the first time around and I definitely think I needed to clean and set up the new regulator box. The cleaning side of things is a little strange and I definitely didn't have the time to get that done and use the car. Once I got the alternator fitted and everything wired up correctly I drove the car  home. 240 miles and the car runs better than before and less noise up front. I can only assume that yes my dynamo was near the end of its life as was the regulator box. It doesn't look original under the bonnet now but then I have fitted a larger radiator because my header tank failed and I guess the electrics are now better than before. 

Thanks again for all the help

Tim

Quoted from glang-

My regulator is original from 1968 and still working fine (73000 miles) plus as Iain says, after Trumps bombs have gone off it'll carry on while you alternator guys will be pushing your cars😁

That is the spirit Jinx yourself. 😬