leylandracer

Due to a misap :-/ today i might have to take the sump off, just wondering does it come off without much hassle?

Also any idea of the size of the sump plug and the thread pitch?

Re; the misap :( When the engine got rebuilt i asked them to put a bung in the sump for the Smiths oil temp sender 5/8 unf, they put a 20mm bung and plug in with a 1.5mm pitch, i ended up doing somthing stupid (at the time seemed a good alternative as there isnt any adaptors available 20mm x 5/8 unf) i had the 20mm plug tapped to except the senders 5/8 thread, and guess what :o Just nipping it up in the sump and the head broke off the plug (Brass plug = soft::) what it did leave though was the tapped thread/insert in  where it should be, its got locktite on, so ime just wondering if it will stay put :-/ or if its not worth the risk i might have to take the sump off and cart it around to a engineering shop to see what they can do, s--- all for a temp sender

Re the sump plug size, i was just having a look on this Aus site http://www.fumoto.com.au/sizes.htm

Any ideas with the above?

Cheers

Yes, its no problem, particularly if you have a subframe lowering kit installed.
You have to jack the engine up about 1.5" to 2" above the subfarme to give clearance, for the sump to come out.
To give enough clearance above the engine, at the fire wall, we undid the subframe
bolts, about an inch.
We had the front wheels up on ramps, &, interestingly, as you undo the subframe bolts, the body rises up from the subframe & engine. With the weight of engine staying on the subframe, the springs simply push the body up.
We had to pull the sump for panel beating, as the big end bolts on the 4.6L engine were just hitting the TR8 sump.
Remove, panel beat, & reinstall, about 3 hours.

Archived