Engine hot - radiator cold

Raider

My 2000 that was assaulted by wild boar 🙁 now has a new radiator back on along with electric fan.

Thing is though, on running it up the engine gets hot but the radiator doesn't (I have put water in it 😀 - water/antifreeze mix to follow in due course).

The rubber hoses to heat the inlet manifold are hot as is the thermostat cover but the top hose is getting miildly warm at best.

My best guess is the thermostat has gone on strike after 6 months of not doing anything or there's an airlock.

Suggestions before I return to this in two weeks time?

Most likely there is an airlock under the thermostat which is keeping the water from it - so, as it's not in contact with the water, it doesn't open.  Have had exactly this issue in the past with both PI and Vitesse. Some thermostats have a small bleed hole in them to prevent it happening but not all.  You can bleed it by whipping out the temperature sensor in the thermostat housing or taking the link hose to the inlet manifold off until water comes through.

You might find that if you leave it two weeks that it fixes itself as the thermostat probably isn't that airtight!

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Before you go yanking the head off again, a thought.......

The exhaust is indeed steaming well and HGF is probably the "favourite" culprit.  However, there might be another, albeit rarer.  I had a similar incident years ago which turned out to be a problem with the inlet manifold heating pipe letting water into no.6 inlet runner.  Bypassing the water line through the manifold will prove/disprove it.  I actually spotted mine when taking the manifold off before removing the head.  Fixing the manifold was harder than changing a head gasket though!

With the amount of steam showing, removing the plugs will show you the affected cylinder(s) as the plug(s) will steamed clean.

Nick

Quoted from Velocita Rosso
That steam reminds me of coming home from last years HCR start......when the head gasket had gone. As they say in Stars in Your Eyes, as they come through the cloud....Who do you want to be tonight?...."A Triumph mechanic!"

Yup that's what I think too but I am fed up of working on cars, I want to drive them

Nick, I have just whipped the plugs out and they all look the same.

Quoted from Rallyspit
On your video you can see the overflow bottle pressurising as you rev the engine. Almost certainly head gasket failure or a cracked head. Sorry - don't shoot the messenger!

That's what I  thought. Those wild boar have a lot to answer for

Pheasants are the same - might be scrawny neck b*st*rds but they'll still rip a carbon fibre front splitter off.

Thankfully, never hit anything like a boar or pig, which I am mighty thankful for.

I guess at least now you can make the decision of cut losses or build a new engine for it / rebuild the current one.

I built this engine with a reground crank, lightened flywheel, GT6 cam etc and all it has done is the mileage to the Czech Republic

Diring that drive it went very well, nice and smooth whilst being quite lively for a 2 litre

I am planning just the headgasket and maybe a head skim - unless more problems are revealed

The radiator was damaged on the 10CR? So, what's to say that it wasn't driven around and left running by the peoples whose care it was left in? I'd be having a word with the insurance company. You may even get out of doing the job yourself...

Quoted from ferny
The radiator was damaged on the 10CR? So, what's to say that it wasn't driven around and left running by the peoples whose care it was left in? I'd be having a word with the insurance company. You may even get out of doing the job yourself...

Got a point there, even loading on to the transporter......also...depends on how long you drove when empty of water ...even a short period will affect it

Quoted from Velocita Rosso

Got a point there, even loading on to the transporter......also...depends on how long you drove when empty of water ...even a short period will affect it

All good points.

Ferny, I have had a payout by the insurance company for me to fix the car myself so I am happy enough with that.

Mike, yes we ran it for a few miles (!) to reach a town and by the end it was pinking badly, had no water in it and coasted into a parking space in the centre of Plana - then it wouldn't restart.  I'd say there's a very good chance this is where the damage happened.

Since then it's just been a case of getting into a position where I could refit a radiator and run it on tickover back here.