Radiator Fitting Issues

Stu 1986

Hello Chaps, I am trying to fit the radiator into my car. I have a 13/60 Herald with a Vitesse 2Litre fitted to it. I have got the engine in place and mostly plumbed in. However it never came with a Rad so I bought one and had it re cored. That was 3 years ago, I have come to fit it today and have discovered that the plastic cooling fan hinders installation of the rad. Removing this makes it fit so am left with no fan, which I obviously need. Is there a method to doing this that I am missing?
Thanks for your help,
Stu.  8)

I would hazard a guess and suggest that the engine, being longer, is now too close to the radiator thus causing the fan to foul the rad as you try and install it. Look at the bottom of the rad, the bit that would lie directly beneath the fan blades once it's fitted. On some rads, as I discovered on mine, there is a small lip protruding from the rad and it's this that catches the fan. I flattened the lip on mine with a small hammer (carefully) so that the rad dropped into place. The lip doesn't interfere with the core itself and once fitted no-one will see the DIY panel beating. Might be something totally different but that's what I found with mine anyway. Good luck.

I totally agree with PJM, if it was me i would fit an electric fan. There are 3 ways this could be controlled: 1. themostatically control by a temp sensor, 2. a manual switch mounted inside the car when it gets a bit hot, or 3. a have it constantly running, just like the early mk1 fiesta's where as soon as you turned the ignition on the fan would start running.
I personally would do the easiest method and fit a switch mounted inside.
However, that just me?

Jordan

1156 wrote:
On some rads, as I discovered on mine, there is a small lip protruding from the rad and it's this that catches the fan.

I thought the engine being longer might also be the problem. I will have another look tomorrow and see if I can see the lip, and if it is fouling. If it isn't I will look at fitting an electric fan, though I think it will have to be a puller because there is no room on the other side of the rad. I will probably also go for the temp sensor option on that.  8)

Depending on how much room you actually have I'd try a bolt-on kit car fan - search eBay; there are some quite slim fans which may fit a restricted space, and take up less room than the original plastic fan.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAGUAR-COOLING-FAN-/190493825784?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5a511af8#ht_500wt_1156

When looking at my mates 13/60 last weekend I noticed that his radiator sits further back than mine in my Vit. He has loads of room behind his grille.

Could it be that you are trying to use the Herald radiator mounts when you need to use mountings from a Vitesse that will put it further forward?

I would still get an electric fan though. I have a slim one fitted on the rear of the radiator. I think it's a Kenlowe. It has dashboard switch which I thought was the only way to turn it on/off, but the other day I was tinkering, the temp went up and it switched on itself, must have a thermostat as well.

What radiator do you have, Vitesse or Herald?
The Vitesse radiator is a completely different design, and mounts directly to the chassis, very close to the grille. The Vitesse front valance has a cut away back edge to allow this forward positioning. I can't see how you'd get a Herald radiator into this location, but then I've never tried.....

Cheers,
Bill.

Hi Bill, I have the correct Vitesse radiator, and was already aware of the correct mounting position for the Vitesse unit (where the horns are on a herald) . I have got it in place now (it IS very close to the grill) and I have elected to fit an electric fan. If anything at all it will take some of the strain off the engine  :) What size fan should I go for do you think?
Thanks For Your Input Guys! S.  8)

I got my electic fan from a Rover 420 in the local breakers. The cowling fits the Vitesse rad perfectly width wise. I just had to trim the frame a bit to clear the nose of the water pump pulley. I have got one of those bulb type adjustable thermostats fitted inside the bottom hose.

The rad was a very tight sqeeze past the original fan, I seem to remember loosening the fan bolts to give more room.

Archived