thescrapman

My 2.5 mk1 has a decent recored standard radiator , the rest of the system is in good order , I removed the engine driven fan last year and fitted a medium sized electric fan on thermostatic control, despite constant thrashing it never overheats
Job done !!! ;)

I ran a  (WELL USED) standard rad no crank fan and one   kenlow on the Taxi worked fine until the mother of all traffic jams on the North Circular (summer 2005) started to heat seize just got over the giratory -next day I fitted uprated rad and two fans Kenlow and Pacet the smaller kenlow is used most the time all though it will call the pacet when needed,the conntroler can be overidden and each fan can be turned on manually independanley or together or completeley isolated for when driving into rivers

Sorbs we just like dissagreeing with you  Standard car= standard rad fine, tuned car stuck in traffic or getting driven flat out round a track for 3 hours =standard rad fine ,you are ALWAYS right and we bow to your superior knowledge

ajp wrote:

,you are ALWAYS right and we bow to your superior knowledge

If more people could just accept that fact then we'd save a lot of these arguments.  :)

I called into Fatchicks on the way back from biking this afternoon, collected one of their lovely exchange radiators, popped it in the car, more testing is required but it seems OK.

Judging by the square top, I'd say it's one of the 'square top' type radiators you've been going on about.  I understand this is the correct type for my car.  The radiator previously fitted had a rounder top so I deduce that it was one of the 'round top' variety and therefore detracted from my vehicle's standard condition.

There was no quibble over taking the round top in exchange for the square top and it cost 115quid + VAT.

What I particularly like about it is the cardboard on the inner face.  It'll save me skinning my knuckles when I use the fixed crank fan to turn the engine when I'm adjusting the points, valve clearances etc.  There is also cardboard on the outer face which will help prevent stone damage etc.

I had a 4 core rad built by Express Rads in West Norwood for £150.00 that included fitting larger outlet pipes & a threaded insert for a fan switch for my Rover V8 powered 2000 it also has no engine fan just a Facet electric one & no overheating problems.

Modding my car?  To be honest, the old beastie has had so many new parts since I've owned it that any quest for originality is purely academic.

I just asked for a radiator for a 1969 mk2 2000, took the rad home and fitted it.  I do suspect that it may be for a mk1 but I will never admit to that.  I've no idea how many rows it has.  It doesn't leak, is shiny enough to keep Chatterton happy and works a treat.

The whole process of buying the rad' and fitting it took less than an hour.  I even had time for a go on Fitchett's display motorbikes when the bloke wasn't looking.  The restraining order which prevented that has expired now.

While the bloke was getting my radiator from the warehouse, and before I had a go on the motorbikes, I had a quick look in his big book of Triumph dreams, aka their warehouse parts catalogue.  I noticed the radiator pictured had a threaded insert for a drain tap.  I asked why my replacement rad' didn't have such an insert and was told that the drain taps are often removed and blanked off when radiators are reconditioned.  I'm quite happy about this.  I reckon drain taps just introduce a plethora of points at which a leak can occur.

Archived