mazfg

Well, I've spent the morning with my veyr helpful garage man changing my clutch. Bought a new overdrive mount to fit as the other was like marshmallow. Fitted it, went to drive off and the propshaft was rubbing inside the tunnel.....the new mount is too high. Comparing them both anyway..seems to show that they are a little different in makeup? The new one didn't actually line up with the plate underneath and so I had to initally space is to the gearbox face. Anyway...bottom line is, I had to put the old squidgy one back in because of the rubbing propshaft...
Anyone have any ideas if there are different types? As far as I can see there's only one Part no.: 159656
The original looks more like this:

This German one from http://www.bastuck.com looks better and slightly different?

Cheers

I wonder if you have the correct diameter propshaft - or possibly some screws into the tunnel are too long.

Not really sure why Bastuck would have the reproduced the original mounting rubber with unnecessary holes and welding - a simplified repro part was made some years ago.

159656 is backwards compatible with all overdrive units (the holes onto the od unit are 3/8" rather than 1/2" to fit a J type)

• 5 months later...

Just resurrecting this thread as I have both the original mount and the replacement here together for comaprison. As you can see..they are different and the fixing holes to the O/D are definitely different in height but also the mount is offset. Which shows that I'd need some sort of spacers to accommodate this when fixing to the O/D.....?  Not sure what's going on here..?  As I mentiones, when this was fitted (with spacers), it was too high casuing th propshaft to foul on the top of the tunnel...

(Apologies for the last one, it's meant to show height difference but not too clear unless you look very closely 😀 )

Having had two of the left hand type, modern copies, seperate the rubber from the lower metal mount. I now drill straight through the lower, rubber and upper parts and place two bolts in there.  Does't stop separation , but at least limits movement.

The mount with the bracketry attached is not normal  ??(my veiw),  I wonder why this has been made up
one thing that I dreamt of was there are a variety of mounting plates that  bridge the chassis rails
For 4 cyl, and 6cyl  etc
just a thought

edit just realised you  have a viteese with a J type   that   means nothing is standard
So the mountt has to be made to fit
No parts diagrams will show that configuartion for a 6cly

pete

pete

Maybe the plate on the chassis it attaches too isn't correct, hence why it's been offset..because the new one will need spacers to marry up to the overdrive as well as holes slightly lower..else it snags on the prop tunnel. Will have a look today at the chassis plate and take some pics of that.

Quoted from RobPearce
That looks like a correct plate for a D-type, with the three holes for access to the various plugs on the bottom of the O/D unit.
Is your engine mounted normally, or has it been shifted back half an inch?

Engine mounted normally. Standard engine mounts in the front to the turrets....