beefertoo

[face=Times][/face]hi all,

having just looked at and bought martins toledo (well i will have it shortly!!) i now need to look at fitting an overdrive, i have a 1300 spitfire engine and box to go in but would like to know has anyone else done this? will i be able to find an 'off the shelf' prop (dolly?) any advise/tips would be welcome as i dont want to chop the car around too much and want to complete the job within a week....... thanks craig

It should be do-able. A Dolomite overdrive box will fit but you'll need a matching clutch plate as the splines are different and you'll need the bracket for the overdrive box. The easiest method would be to remove the engine/gearbox assembly and do the gearbox swap. It would be an opportunity to degrease the engine and clean/repaint the engine bay.

the later single rail gearbox is the same length (near enough) as the 3 rail od box, so I would guess the prop off a later dolly would be ideal. Happy to be told not ;) may some issues with flange bolt sizes as I am not to up on saloon stuff.
Clive

I think Craig is thinking about just dropping in his 1300 Spitfire engine and overdrive gearbox complete so there's no clutch/spline issue.

I imagine it's more about gearbox mounts and a suitable propshaft (as well as wiring but that should be easy enough).

I'm guessing but I think you'll want the gearbox crossmember and mount from a 1500 Dolly with overdrive and probably have to drill some holes in the floor to accept it.....

No idea about the propshaft - probably 1500 Dolly with overdrive again if the Toledo has the same same wheel base as Dolly (I think it does - just the boot is shorter?).

Sounds like a good conversion but not one you hear of that much on this forum.  Should probably ask on the Dolomite forum for most reliable answer though some of their top men visit this one too......

Nick

Got to be doable, possibly will need a shortened propshaft-easy enough as many good prop shops (!) will be able to either shorten the existing one or make a new one-Dave Mac Props in Nuneaton?

If a J type o'd, nice and easy to wire up.

BTW what will happen to the engine-nice little lump in that car if I remember.

Great news that someone sensible has bought that nice little car, welcome to the CT forum.

thanks for the responses, yes i do plan to drop the spit engine and box in complete...not that i'm saying anythings wrong with whats there already,just i will be using it as an everyday car and will have it spare from my spit6 project. i will keep the engine to one side as a spare.
out of interest does anyone know what length a toledo and a dolly prop is origionally?

cheers craig

Nick_Jones wrote:
I'm guessing but I think you'll want the gearbox crossmember and mount from a 1500 Dolly with overdrive and probably have to drill some holes in the floor to accept it.....

Nick

Yep, a different overdrive mount and crossmember is needed, like the one below. Which just so happens to be spare to me, drop me a PM if you are interested

see my posting above. 3 rail od box same length as non od single rail. therefore a std non od 1500 dolly prop should fit.
The difference in length between a od box and non od for single rail is an inch, so the props may stretch/compress enough, but best to get correct one.
Clive

check out 'project gloria' on dolomite club, im doing exactly that, but a load of other stuff too including HL dash/wiring etc.

its not a 5 min job!  ;)

its also not your average 1500  8)

PS - im not doing this by myself, i have help from one who is a bit more mechanical then me, he has majik spannerz you see, where i just have normal ones, and hands that usually work in a sales office  :)  

Hi Craig,

Good to see that my Toledo appears to have gone to a good home. Feel free to pop over to the Triumph Dolomite Club forum and say hello.

Also loads of help available there. A number of folk on there have done the O/D and twin carb conversions to their 1300's, so I don't see any major hassle for you.

Drop me a line and I'll tell you a bit more about the car. Might be easier and quicker if you do it via the TDC forum. I only pop over here every now and again.

Regards

Ken

just as an update,
                          engine and box now in just the little finishing off bits to do(they always seem to take longer....) only one or two technicals to overcome. 1st how long did it take me to notice that a spit sump is the wrong way round for a tolly?? when it touches the rack.... 2nd got to finish it in the morning as need to go to work and sold the boring mobile over the weekend......     craig

hi all, i'd like to say thanks for all the advise and spares offered for the toledo. its now done and back on the road. what a difference the o/d makes....surprises quite a few on the motorway witch is quite funny!!  anyway some pics of it in progress.  

craig

Archived