Overdrive indicator.

mazfg

Been revamping my steering column and thought I'd share a little mod I did for the overdrive.
I found a few times I wasn't sure whether the overdrive was on or off..due to the position of the stalk, I've modded the plastic cowl and fitted a 5mm red LED and lens in the bottom part. wired one end up to the Yellow/ green wire and the other will go to an earth. Looks quite discreet and helps me remember  ;)

Here's another solution.
When I fitted O/drive, I couldn't be *rs*d to find and fit the OE switch, so put push-on/push-off switch on the steering wheeel, with a length of 'curly-whirly' to connect it.   The tiny bracket on the wheel also carries a warning light.
John

912 wrote:
:)
Brilliant idea - I intend doing the same!
I've found suitable LEDs on Maplins' website but what about the connector to the LED.  
Where did you get it, or did you make up your own?

Thanks, I soldered some thin wire to mine and used heatshrink to tidyup. Also, don't forget to add a resistor, otherwise the 12volts will kill the LED. The LED's I had were high brightness, but didn't want them that bright so after a bit of checking with various values used 1K ohm resistor. I used one of these LED holders to mount it: http://www.maplin.co.uk/led-covers-2072

If your new to soldering etc...I'm happy to make you one up, with resistor and lead? Don't have any of those jeweled led holders left though, but have alternative? Let me know, I'll send it your way..gratis!

I've no problem with soldering.
I was looking at Maplin LEDs either "8mm 12v panel mount leds with plastic bezel (NO3BB)"
or "5mm Recessed Panel Indicator LEDs and Bezels (N91AX)" so no other holder needed.
Presumably "1KΩ to 3KΩ Metal Film 0.6W Resistors (M1K8)" would suit.
Thanks for the advice,
Pete

• 1 month later...

Neat idea - but why does it need to be an LED? Any small bulb type indicator light would suffice.

Would be much nicer than realising you are in overdrive still (by mistake) when moving away from a set of traffic lights - I've done that a few times; lucky it's only a quick flick of the fingers in a Mk 1 though.      :B

LED's are smaller than most filament indicators. They also last a lot longer...almost fit n forget in reality and less use hardly any power.

I've since fitted mine to the top of the cowl, as I couldn't see it because of the steering wheel horizontal arms being in the way...doh!

After fitting that overdrive indicator to the indicator cowl...have since found the light reflects badly in the windscreen....... Have since removed and added an amber indicator just between the rev counter and temperature gauge and same height as direction indicator.....
Will post up a picture tomorrow.

what led have you got it may be to bright.ttp://www.crazyleds.co.uk tell them what you wont it for, thay will send you dim ones i had mine from there and thay not bright,first lot i had from ebay my face, and car lit up blue with full beam on,green when i was turning, red when od was on,

• 1 month later...

The negative leg of the led goes to earth, the other goes to the overdrive switch contact that switches in the 12v. If yours is on all the time you need to connect to the other contact of the overdrive switch.

Archived