Correct Overdrive Procedure?

Combover

When using the overdrive on the TR, I keep my foot on the throttle for putting the overdrive IN - assuming that it acts like an Auto gearbox.

But what about taking it out? The reason I ask is that when i'm in, say, top and I lift off the throttle to switch the overdrive OUT, the car lurches, even if the revs are low and I have the brakes applied. Now, when I leave my foot on the throttle and switch it out for some engine braking, it comes out really smoothly and doesn't upset the balance of the car.

What is the 'correct' procedure, foot on or off the throttle?

Quote:
I operate O/D in or out without making any adjustment of throttle pedal position.
....same here...I just flick the O/D in and out as required, regardless of throttle position. Because of the way the things work with brake bands and sun'n'planet rings  rather than gears'n'synchro's  there's no need to lift off to disengage it- in fact, I quite often disengage it with the pedal to the metal to get that bit more overtaking ooomph on the motorway, and I've never broken one yet!

Basically- it should all be a more or less seamless shift between engaged and disengage and vice-versa....if you are disengaging it with the brakes on and low revs it's almost like stalling the car so it will lurch. If I have O/D engaged and I'm stopping and want to disengage it for blast-off again,i just leave it engaged until I stop, rather than doing it as i slow right down.

I don't think there are many things better than sticking your foot down in 3rd and when you get to 5000+ RPM flicking in O/D and keeping the pedal rammed to the floor. It really does help when overtaking.

Overdrive is just a joy to use  8) ;D

Sitting behind a slowmo (MX5  :P) at thirty on a country road in O/D third, waiting for a gap, flick out of O/D and hit the throttle, Wraghhhh the sprint hurtles past and as you draw alongside you hits that O/D again and the car leaps forward.
Aw got carried away there, yeh in or out any time you like on or off throttle.

I've always found best engagement is while accelerating. To disengage smoothly I take the speed right down i.e. in overdrive 4th down to about 60 kph and then disengage this seems to prevent the engine racing. TO be honest though in most situation I dip the clutch while disengaging the overdrive

steadyg wrote:
[on my new od'ed saloon i have a logic box in between the od switch and the solenoid]

Surely thats what the Inhibitor is for ?

Garry

Yeah but on James's car, I believe the OD stays out until you switch it in again.  So if the switch is set to "in" and you drop to 2nd, then back to 3rd, the OD won't engage until you've switched it off then on again.

Personally I prefer it as Triumph designed it but I can see the point in this.

My last D type would lurch slightly if you didn't dip the clutch when engaging but would come out of overdrive as smooth as anything, however the reconditioned unit I now have fitted is the exact opposite; if I don't lift off the throttle/dip the clutch when coming out of overdrive then I get a hefty lurch.

On the few Triumphs I've driven, I've found in general that J type overdrives are much smoother going in and out with power on than D type overdrives are.

My Spit had a J type and because of Spit ratios used to get a lot of use.
It would happily click in and out without a second thought.
The GT6 has a D type and will engage nicely but will disengage with quite a bang
so I dip the clutch. With GT6 ratios 3rd OD is not used so much as it's within a
tad of direct top.

Archived