bob dunn

The purpose of that 'joddler' is to make a flat crease in the dge of a patch panel, so that a flat seam can be made with the metal around.  WEld and fill and you won't know it's there - allegedly.     It also has a punch function as you say, but if you only want holes to do plug welds, to simulate the original spot welds, I'd just drill the edge of the new panel.

Spot welders can be hired, but they take a lot of current.     I used one many years ago for chassis repairs.  The family asked me not to use it while thye watched TV, as the picture went all small and wobbly!  Bit alarming  to run off domestic wiring!

John

Panel beaters never use these tools.

1/8th drill bit, and 1" drill bit.

Run the small one through, and enlarge with the 1". When enlarging, have the panel in place, so that you 'clean' and create a dip in the second surface. DON'T go straight through both, or it will have no strength.

What you are trying to create is a 'bowl' that you will fill with weld.

Depends how much you are going to use it. I bought a whole punch/joddler many years ago, and have changed and repaired all sorts of panels on various triumphs. I have hardly ever used the Joddler part but the whole punch has been well used and is excellent to quickly run along a wing for the purpose of plug welding. As stated, it can also be done using a drill, but more practice and skill is needed.

Blue

Hi Bob,i bought a joddler at a garage sale for £4, it's a great bit of kit (used it yesterday), i also had to do some spot welds on my screen surround so i drilled  out the old welds,then plugwelded  the new panel in, this was prior to my joddler ownership.
The other tool the i use a lot is my Dremel multi tool, these are great for getting into tight spots. I have grinder and cutting bits for it and would not be without it. :)

236 wrote:
machine mart do similar for a lot less...approx £35 i think. the only problem i have is 5mm isnt quite big enough,i find 1/4" better. for plug welding

The Machine Mart one isn't that cheap these days - nearly £50! I bought mine on a VAT free day! It's a useful tool but, as you say, the hole made by these tools is a bit small for a plug weld and needs to be drilled out.

3629 wrote:
Panel beaters never use these tools.

Might be, but personally I do only know one who don't use the joggler - as he is always gas welding edge to edge.
But he is still using a punch tool ;-)
You save a lot of time. Just imagine you have to drill 100 holes...

Buy a quality one, everything else is waste of money.

I have one of these - made in Denmark  8)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SIP-PRO-JOGGLER-SPOT-WELD-HOLE-PUNCH-edge-setting-tool_W0QQitemZ150581264360QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=233946676844&clk_rvr_id=233958505096&imp_rvr_id=233958505096&clk_rvr_id=233958505096&cguid=43ad190d11d0a0e202c5d8e5ff0fa3c8

Archived