body off restoration in a single garage

sandysboy

I am in the process of restoring my beloved Mk3 spit, I intend to take the body tub off but space/storage is an issue. What I would like to do is store the tub on it's side against one garage wall. I will of course brace the door gaps and cross brace this as well, this would then give me just about enough space to restore chassis/running gear within the same garage. I am concerned about storing the tub on it's side and wondered if anyone else has done this?. I will add that the tub does seem to be structurally pretty sound,

No problem, although of course something on the floor which is reasonably absorbent/padded would be a good idea. My tub was on it's side in a garage, then another garage, then upside-down (!) for 4 years in total.
I've scrapped it since of course.
(Joke).
Ah! Since mine's a Mk IV it's just occured to me you can take the windscreen surround off and chuck that out the way too, no? I was always walking into my screen frame and had to "lag" it. I'll let one of the educated Mk 3'ers tell  you if that's a reasonable idea, unless you know yourself.

thanks for the reply smithy. I have removed windscreen surround, which does help create a bit more space. Even with the tub tied off to a wall,I will still only have about 13 inches between chassis and tub, but I think this is enough to step in and around and get on with it!

cheers

gar

I also did my retso in a single garage (stil on going) but I made a platform above the chassis to put the tubs on so I can roll the chassis out. Once I got as far as stripping the suspension I made a pair of trolleys to put the chassis on so I could still roll it and out - worked a treat.

Hi Steve, unfortunately the other problem I have got is that due to the location of the garage I am using, I can't use the space in front of it. I have experience of the good methods you describe and agree they are very practical. I think I will have to refurb chassis/running gear and then look to store this (though hopefully,not outside under a tarpaulin) ,and then I can have the luxury of a clearish garage to work on the tub,

cheers

gar

You're going to find it very difficult to do a total body off restoration in a single garage, particularly if you cant use the space in the front drive. Also, you have to remember that as you strip the car, you'll need loads of space to store all the components somewhere safe. You'll be amazed at how much comes off a car as you dismantle it. My recommendation is to rebuild the body tub on the rolling chassis first. Strip everything else off in safe storage. Once you've rebuilt the body tub and aligned the bonnet etc, paint prime it and remove these and store outside under cover or in a firend's garage. Then tackle the whole chassis and running gear. I can assure you that the latter will be the quicker job compared to the body assuming you've got welding and new panels to do. When you've finished the chassis, return the body tub to it and get it painted. I know a friend who did it this way. Seemed to work for him.    

I have safe dry storage for bonnet ,doors, bootlid,interior, and everything else, and these things are removed. On inspection the tub is in good condition and hopefully ,shouldn't require too much panel replacement/repairs. I take your point about the order of proceeding the refurb but my experience with my other 3 triumphs in the past, which I did in the same sort of order, caused me no great stress and I am not in any rush at all anyway, in many respects I enjoy the restoration as much, if not more than the end result. The only difference in the past was that I had much more storage space,

cheers

gar

I'm down in Bristol and to be honest you would be very very lucky get a garage with elec and water for a tenner! Besides the garage that my spit is in is one I am renting already. Like many of us,I am always looking around for storage ideas and besides with the resto I am in no rush, and I believe I will hopefully preserve my two existing brain cells,

cheers

gar

This thread is turning into a parody of Monty Python's "The Four Yorkshiremen"!

"Garage? You were lucky to have a garage! I rebuilt my car in a hole in the middle of the A27!"
"A hole? You had a hole? I rebuilt mine in a sink at Paddington Station, and I did the welding on the Baker Street power line!"  :)

Yorkshire men, !! nowt on what me mate did,!!!

made the doon stairs double room, into a drive in garage,.

why no go that route,!! :) :P

then ye can have warmth, light, water, ..carpet.. plus the wife, to say ye making toooo

much ..dust.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Marcus

hi sandysboy im also in bristol. i restored my spitfire in a single garage. body tub removed and stored on its side. resoration is still on going. no problem at all storing on its side. door gaps braced. plus i did all welding to the body on its side made life a lot easier.doors close and open nice. if you need any help let me know. i will give you my mobile no pete

All good suggestions , but unfortunately it's a garage with not much ceiling height at all, it's a slightly pitched roof and it's probably not even 7 feet around the mid-point. As said earlier, braced tub on it's side tied off to a side-wall will give me enough room,

cheers

gar

Ay by heck! Land int alf cheaper in Gods own county!

Heres another place where i work on my GT6, i rent the land off the church for £3 a week. I got the grimstone panels off a guy on our street who was giving his garage away (buyer collects and dismantles).
I laid a concrete base which cost me £200 from the local "readymix" firm who poured it in the frame i knocked together. I then used a rake and a bit of wood to get it dead flat.
Me and a mate put the panels up, bolted them together, bit of expanding foam in between to keep it nice and tight.

Got a load of cheap timber from ebay and made mi sen a swiss chalet! It actually used to have the flat roof but now i have so much space in the rafters..
The panels are really ridgid and provided i got some strong iron box section running across them i reckon that could easily hold a body tub.....

Just a thought!

ha ha cheers guys, they are both screwed and bolted but im in trouble should i choose to take it down, ive rounded all the heads with a drill bit to stop the thieves - or at least slow them down...
For power i use a small generator, and for heat i have a wood burning stove with tea making facilities! The roof was hard to put up on my own but thanks to the romans and a brief history lesson i managed with a bit of rope.
For light i use a couple of led strip lights, i just charge them at home and take them down with me when i go. I might look into going solar shortly

Archived