Alternative Seats - show us what you're got

Encom

Since I am now the proud owner of a 1982 TR7 DHC, I thought I would look into replacing the seats with a safer more modern seat (like the MGF seats I have in the Vitesse, a pretty common swap).

There seems to be a lot written around the pro's and con's of this in the TR7/8, and that the factory seats are very good when in good nick, which I totally agree with; but I can't find a definitive thread showing seats that people have installed and feedback as to how they found them in use, too high, too wide etc.

So what has been fitted? what do they look like? whats are the catches to fitting them? pictures please

I have also attached a poll for some of the swaps I have seen (got a funny feeling 'factory' will come out on top on this one).

I also voted for factory seats as I've owned two mk1 mx5's and I think with new foam in the original the TR7 seats are just as comfortable. I also owned a TR7 that had been fitted with Saab seats (not an easy task) which were very comfortable but would not slide forward enough for my little legs. As the previous owner was over 6ft it wasn't a problem for him. I tried modifying the method of securing from being welded directly to the runners to some alloy machined brackets but unfortunatly it made them too tall, altough I did get the fwd/aft adjustment I needed. I also bought a pair if Corbeau type reclining seats that fitted a treat until I tried putting the hood up and found the seat wings fouled it, they're now going in my Dolomite.

Cheers,

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I voted "Factory" but I've fitted Toyota MR2 seats - a decision that was purely down to cost. I'd prefer factory seats but had a quote of £500 for refurbishing the originals but got the MR2 seats for £100 from ebay in almost pristine condition.

They were easy to fit, about the same width but around 10-20mm higher. Superbly comfy and probably safer than the originals due to the high back and more modern/stronger construction.

It's certainly not a bad choice. And in a "purely driving" FHC I might even fit them. But I have already fitted something different 😉
But I am not to fond of their looks fitted in a DHC. I think they ruin the lines of the car with the top down.
Luckily that's a matter of taste. Or in my case as some people say; lack of it  

So far not in the planning to try that out 😀
This picture has more or less the same angle to yours and probably explains quite nicely what I mean.

Again no criticism to the seats, as from own experience I know the MR2 seats are very comfortable,
with the seating position almost exactly the same as the original seats.

• 3 months later...

I have driven 720 miles in a day with the standard seats and walked away with no aches or pains so very happy with them. I did buy a pair of Corbeaus 17 years ago but sent them back as they didn't fit very well and I sat too high. Recently bought a spare set of standard seats.