straight six engine I.D.

ludwig1113

Gordon Keeble as in the same lot who made the Gordon-Keeble?

Are you sure it's really "AE" as GT6 would be "KE" and they can be hard to read, especially if it's an over-stamp of something else, maybe an "ME" block from a saloon?

What matters is what is in it and the code is often a poor guide as the engine may have been rebuilt more than once and not necessarily with the "correct" parts for the original code.

Nick

ME would be the early Mk2 engine to about 1972 and like all Mk2 (and later Mk1 engines I believe) is clearly identified by the casting boss for the mounting with is big and square and four holes.

The earlier Mk1 2000 engine had a smaller triangular mounting boss with three holes.

Don't know what AE or KE would be - only have info in the big saloons/estates.

MUT

Quoted from Nick Jones
Gordon Keeble as in the same lot who made the Gordon-Keeble?

Are you sure it's really "AE" as GT6 would be "KE" and they can be hard to read, especially if it's an over-stamp of something else, maybe an "ME" block from a saloon?

What matters is what is in it and the code is often a poor guide as the engine may have been rebuilt more than once and not necessarily with the "correct" parts for the original code.

Nick

yes i have all the gordon keeble headed paperwork from the time it was changed.
the engine is def. coded AE which is repeated on the invoice.

cheers paul

Quoted from ludwig113

yes i have all the gordon keeble headed paperwork from the time it was changed.
the engine is def. coded AE which is repeated on the invoice.

cheers paul

Well, ok.  I refer you back to my final paragraph then.  With some hope that as GK liked things to be fast, it might be something a bit special.  Does it go well?

AE isn't a code Triumph used on the 6 at least.  Normal pattern is two letters, 5 or 6 numbers and then 2 letters.  Reconditioners, even the factory reconditioners sometimes added letters at the end.

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones

Well, ok.  I refer you back to my final paragraph then.  With some hope that as GK liked things to be fast, it might be something a bit special.  Does it go well?

AE isn't a code Triumph used on the 6 at least.  Normal pattern is two letters, 5 or 6 numbers and then 2 letters.  Reconditioners, even the factory reconditioners sometimes added letters at the end.

Nick

when i get around to taking it apart i will have to measure the specs, i'm in the middle of a long term 360 restoration.

cheers paul