CRX seats in Spitfire/GT6

GTRoger

Has anyone done it?

Was at a local Mini meeting the other day and someone had them fitted to his Mini Van. Made me think of fitting them to my GT6 as they are quite small but not as tiny as the Corbeau buckets I have at the moment. Should give good support as well.

It's the mk1/2 CRX I'm on about.

Hah... but I'm getting older............. and as you might know, I do like my Belgium beer and of course vlaai  ;)

So looking to the future I really should change my buckets for something more sensible. Obviously MX-5 seats are the way to go but I'm not keen on the higher driving position. The Honda seats look a bit more low profile to me.

I guess I should get me some Jap seats and give it a go then!

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up some CRX seats this afternoon. Have to say I'm impressed. They do look very similar to the original Triumph seat with the cushion positioned well low in the frame. Compared to the very tiny Corbeau buckets the overall sizes are not that different. I've trial fitted the original runners and they only need very little modification to adapt the Honda seats. Should be straight forward. Not sure if the seat will fit into the GT as the car isn't home at the moment. We'll find out tomorrow!

Here you see the original seat runner on the CRX seat.

Fits like a glove! Even the bolts aligned perfectly with the original mountings....

Well.................... not quite, but it will fit. We had to cut some bits from the seat adjuster because it was just a bit too wide. Also we had to cut the rear inner seat mount as it was in the way. After modifying the original seat runners we can bolt it together. Driving position is ok and the seats suit the car really well. (except for the "CRX" bit)

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

We're still grinding bits off.....  :X

In the end they will fit, but it has cost a lot of effort. So def. not a straightforward fit. It's the rear inside corner that makes it a real challenge.  Due to the Triumph chassis design we had to modify that specific corner of the seat as it's fooling the floorpan.

How do MX-5 seats clear that hump in the floorpan?? I can't imagine it will be much different from the CRX seat.

Archived