Modern seats in a Vitesse

Jason

Having had some nice but expensive Corbeau recliners in the 13/60 I know I can get recliners to fit in a Herald/Vitesse but does anyone know what modern and cheap seats will go in without too much effort. Doing the RBRR this year I thought it would be good to get at least one recliner in to let the pasenger catch a bit of sleep. I like the standard seats for most of the time but some modern ones, doesn't matter what they look like, might be worthwhile if cheap enough.
Any ideas?

It's the 900 seats that are the ones to go for - I don't know what the differences are with the 9000 and 900 - I've had 9000s before and they are pretty large so I think the 900 is just a scalled down version - whether the modern 9-3 (ie new model 900) seats fit or not i have no idea. Some of these seats come up on eBay and seem to go for much cheapness. I'll investigate further and let you guys know

Yes Smart seats look small enough but I wonder if they are full of electrickery and airbag silliness? Also I don't really want to do huge amounts of work to get them in like making up subframes etc - I mean they are going to come out again after the RBRR (unless they are supremely comfy and look OK - which they won't)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for that, I've found quite a few options lurking round eBay - I've almost taken a fancy to some Les Leston setas from a Bond or some other period style rally buckets.Then I went back to my orginal wish list for some sort of recliner - don't think you can sleep in a bucket seat - but then if you're tired enough!

I did it my self with the wifes sewing machine (hand operated). Material cost £40, time about 3 days part time Retained part of the covers,the back, carefully slit the seams and was able to use the parts cut out as paterns. I was quoted about £600 to have them recovered.

I did the RBRR last time with a pair of corbeau buckets.I'm down to do it again so cant have been all bad!Reckon by saturday evening you could sleep just about anywhere.Having said that I am tempted to try and find a reclining passenger seat.Probably wont tho to lazy!!!

Jason,

Rob Swift and Mark Deacon fitted some late Spit seats into their Vitesse for the last RBRR and found them to be ok. I must say I find the GT6 seats to be ok for the RBRR- but then not quite the same build as you.
Answer for you: Ease up on the beavies and buy a Spit seat!

i'll mail Rob and find out his feelings.

There's no contest - Saab 900 seats vs. Spitfire!

I do have a similar build to you Jason so I can sympathise  ;)

Saab make/made a mighty fine seat. I've had a 900 and a 9000 both with over 100,000 miles on the clock and both with excellent seats. When I get a chance I will be putting Saab ones into TangoBOB

Buckets ... ouch! Attempted to sleep in these whilst waiting for a tow-truck in darkest Devon, even after significant lack of sleep. Painful.

Archived