Oil temperature gauge

Rubce

Hi All

I am considering purchasing an oil temperature gauge for our Stag. My question relates to whether to purchase:-

A) an electric type gauge
B) a capillary type gauge

The second question relates to where is the best position on the engine from which to sense the temperature? The sump?

Thoughts please

Thanks

Bruce

Bruce,
What?   Capillary is v.old tech.    If the line ever gets damaged it's toast.   So electric.

Where? IMHO, the sump, 'coz that's where the mass of oil collects.
And VDO make a dip stick with a temp sensor on the end.  Makes installation a doddle, no need to drill and braze ports on the sumpside.
Don't know if it's long enough for a Stag, or if that has a long dipstick!
The stick-probe is originally for a VW Beetle.
See: http://www.justkampers.com/vdo.....xgAdYyRoCXocQAvD_BwE

John

I disagree with John on the location. The oil sits in the sump and does slosh around a bit but it's not well mixed. You may get very misleading readings (my brother certainly did on his Spitfire). It's better to measure the temperature of the working oil, somewhere in one of the galleries.

I've seen the sensor fitted on the supply side of the oil-stat.

Planning to put mine either in the big gallery plug just after the oil pump or drill and tap the spin-on adaptor as I want to measure the actual circulating temperature.  Judging by the way the oil colour changed in just one day on the 10CR........ it's getting proper hot.

Nick

Quoted from RobPearce
I disagree with John on the location. The oil sits in the sump and does slosh around a bit but it's not well mixed. You may get very misleading readings (my brother certainly did on his Spitfire). It's better to measure the temperature of the working oil, somewhere in one of the galleries.

Each to their own, but "not well mixed"?
Why do we fit oil baffles?
How much oil does the pump flow?

That last is a good Q!  I don't know the answer, but I do k ow a man who is going to answer, soon, as he's setting up a measurement rig.    And very similar gerotor pumps do tens of gallons an hour!
Job

Audi - oil pump housing
"Bob is the oil Guy" - oil pan
Grumpy's - oil filter
Mitsubishi - oil pan (sump) or filter house
Porsche - oil filter
Corvette - oil filter

The filter seems to be the consensus.  But that demands a lot of work. Would the oil that the filter/pump flows be 'well-mixed'?  
Fitting it in the oil gallery?  If you can find a sensor that will substitute for an Allen bolt.
I suggested the dipstick sensor because it's so easy.
What problems did your brother have, Bob?

John

John

Don't call me Bob.

My brother's sensor-in-the-sump would read fully cold (30 degrees or less) oil temperature on a motorway run. Granted his fitment was probably worse than the dipstick trick - using the drain plug hole as a convenient access point - but the basic issue is the same.

I'm surprised by the Mitsubishi. Most production cars that have oil temperature sensors are using them for a reason, such as correcting the valve drive duty for VVT control valves, and need to know the temperature of the working oil. The filter housing is a convenient good-enough location for an update to an existing engine, but I'm fairly sure the BMW ones are engineered into the head, so that they're measuring the real temperature applicable to those VANOS valves.