High torque starter

Davemate

I've found a shop that only sells starters and alternators it's a right throw back, racks and racks of starters and alternators.
Are the high torque starters specially built for the saloon or can I " ask" for starter from anything else that will do the same job.
I currently have a standard starter but it doesn't sound to cleaver so I might as well try and sort a high torque jobbie in ready for when I fit my 6-3-1 exhaust manifold and I just wonder if there's an alternative to spending god knows what from the usual sources

I use the original MK1 inertia starter, because they are light and cheap. Thats on a 10.75.1 comp rally car. Never let me down. Original Pre engaged is a heavy beast though so maybe a hi torque would be an improvement. Lots of makes out there, not always reliable, usually solenoid problems.

Cheers Dazzer

Hello Dave,

"Not that I've got any pennies to pay at the moment !"

If your starter is working OK keep the pennies you don't have, As long as it is in good condition it will do the job for years to come. If it's not the chances are a service and new brushes will get it up to scratch.  I don't mind spending money on my car but a high torque starter is not on the list.

Alec