polerize dynamo positive earth

Camilla

Hello

It turns out our dynamo had bitten the dust and the Herald is not charging so we have purchased a recon dynamo unit.
I wanted to polerize it for our 1962 positive earth 1200 before firing it up.
We’ve not done this before so just wanted to check if you all think the below instructions for polarising for POSITIVE earth are correct?
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/polarising-a-dynamo.php
if so, all sounds straight forward but what kind of wire should we use? Is 14 gauge insulated wire suitable?
Thanks for your help.

Cheers Camilla

Hello Camilla,

just to confirm your car is positive earth and you want to retain that polarity? Normally it is not necessary to polarise a replacement dynamo, it's a fit and go situation. However, with a positive earth system, the dynamo body is connected to the positive battery terminal via the engine block and earth strap to the body. You need to connect a wire to the negative battery terminal and touch the 'F' dynamo terminal (Smaller of the two dynamo terminals) with that wire. As I say, it should not be necessary to do that with a replacement dynamo.

Alec

Yes our car is positive earth and we've just bought a reconditioned dynamo. I was told that its good practice to polerize it before installation? Is this not necessary then? Isn't there a chance the dynamo is negative and will then frazzle the voltage controller?

Camilla,
The dynamo relies on residual magnetism to first generate enough voltage to activate the field coils and get it going. If it's polarised the wrong way it will generate positive instead of negative volts could cause damage when the cutout contact closes nad connects it to the battery.
One simple way of doing it if you don't have any bits of wire handy is to connect up the field contact (smaller one) to the dynmo but leave the armature (big one) off, then take the lid of the control box and manually close the cutout contact for a few seconds, The cutout contact is the one with the steel loop over it, as opposed to the regulatin contact which is the one with the adjusting screw.

Keith

Is the problem getting the nut undone?
Wrapping an old fan belt around the pulley and clamping it in a vice is a good way of securing it while you undo it.
Then undo the nut until it is flush with the end of the shaft to protect the threads and give it tap while holding the dynamo by the pulley.

K

The nut came off with a little encouragement but the pully is completely stuck. Is it simply brute force that's needed? I'll lather it with wd40 over night and try again tomorrow in a vice if that's the case. I just wasn't sure if there was a technique or tool that was required.

3648 wrote:
What's your suggestion of a more dedicated oil? I don't fancy spending another £50 on another pulley and fan!
Sorry, I should have elaborated! WD-40 isn't all that great as a penetrating oil. Here in the US we have Kroil, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench and others, all of which claim (and most of which succeed fairly well) to loosen rusted parts!

amazing! i only went and bloody did it! got the pulley and fan off in one piece and fitted the new dynamo. running like the proverbial dream. Is there a way to tell if it has been correctly polarised? i did as Keith instructed and its all working. just wondering if i've done it correctly as i'd rather it didnt melt our voltage regulator. Thanks Camilla