Electric fuel pump

Jonny-Jimbo

Hi all,

As part of my car prep for RBRR I was checking over a few things yesterday and noticed the oil level had risen considerably - almost to the 'split' in the dipstick, where it's spring to help retain it in the tube. I gave it a sniff and it stinks of petrol. I don't want to risk even turning the engine over at the moment as that amount of petrol will have washed the oil out of the bearings I think.

Given this is the case and I have had never ending issues with mechanical pumps (either not fitting, not working or just plain crap from new), I'm going to fit an electric fuel pump. I know the type I am going to use, the HUCO one and a Malpassi Filter King with built in regulator etc. However, I'm just wondering where to mount it in a 2000 Mk1 engine bay?

I think Tim Bancroft has one in his Mk1, anyone have any photos of it, or their own car for that matter?

Not relevant if you're decided on the electric pump but...
If it's an early Mk1 I have a spare known good glass bowl mechanical pump, from Tessa. For that matter, if it's a later one I have a believed good glass bowl mechanical pump off a 2500S, also potentially spare (assuming I don't decide on a whim to swap in on to the GT6).

Rob, if you can spare a pump with a glass bowl (my engine is a later one, 2500S by origin I think), that would be greatly appreciated - it will save the time and fuss of buying all the bits for the electric pump and sorting the issues with that. As I have a lot to sort on the car anyway, I'd rather not spend the time on it, but I've had no end of problems with the mechanical pumps.

Rob, please PM me of how you want to proceed. Thanks.

Hello Nick,

diaphragm pumps like the Huco and S.U. are made in two different versions, Some for fitting near the rear of the car and the other at the front. As far as I know they are not visually identifiable and reference to the part number is necessary to ascertain where it should be fitted. While I expect they will work if fitted in the wrong location, I expect there could be performance issues?

Alec

Alec,

I'm talking in general pumping terms here.  In all pumping systems, best practice is to put the pump as close to source as possible as although you can generate lots of pressure, on the suction side you have only 1 atmosphere maximum to play with.  This is especially important when dealing with volatile fluids like petrol and as many people have been having issues with "vapourisation" lately, this is one way of giving yourself a headstart in that battle.

Nick

the huco pump i bought and fitted in the engine bay of my mk2 has the part no 133010 the instructions said this model is only suitable for fitting in the engine bay and works at 1.4 psi,   huco do make a fuel pump that fits near the fuel tank though, but i thinks you would have trouble in fitting it under the hard board boot covers due to its size its about 125mm deep by 75mm diameter and i dont think it will work on its side but i could be wrong

I do not wish to mount it in the boot as my car has no boot board and the upright spare wheel, so nowhere to hide the pump. Also, as the fuel pipe exits straight under the car through the floor, I'd have to cut new holes in the floor to get the pipe back up to the pump and then another one to drop the pipe back out of the boot floor. So not ideal in any way.

I've used electric pumps previously and always ended up back with the old AC mechanical pump because of there general robustness. Even when they're shot they work of a fashion. Too many times have I beaten SU pumps to within an inch of their life every time they stop (points type) or have been deafened by a solid mounted electric pump someone thought was a good idea to bolt directly to the bulkhead.

I'm sure the newer versions are much more reliable... You could always fit two. One as a back up.