Should I fit an electric fan?

SteveJP

Firstly I should state that I have no cooling issues on my Stag, it has a recently rebuilt engine and 3 year old Hi efficiency radiator courtesy of SOC spares. Secondly I am running with a new viscous coupling and standard expansion tank system which has been cleaned out of all scale etc.

As I am using the Stag on this years 10CR, should I consider an electiric fan as emergency support to the cooling system. In the recent hot weather I gave the Stag a good high speed run of 80 odd miles along the M20, the temperature needle never strayed beyond the halfway mark, so am I being too cautious?

76Spit wrote:
am I being too cautious?

Probably, but it's very comforting when you join the end of a hideous traffic jam on a hot day (do we have them anymore in the UK?) to be able to switch the fan override switch on.

I binned my standard fan and viscous coupling and fitted an electric one instead. At first I wasted my money on a cheap ebay item which wasn't up to the job in hot weather despite a 4 row radiator, then fitted a two speed kenlowe which does the job perfectly but cost £100 more than the first one I tried
If you are going to fit one, fit the kenlowe. At least if your viscous coupling dies you will be able to remove the fan and still cool the engine
Neil

When my viscous coupling went there were a lot of horror stories about the quality of the ones available so I binned it and fitted a Davies Crag 16" fan which has been fine, temperature gauge never goes much over halfway on the needle and the fan only seems to cut in when stationary for a while. Mind you when it does come in it certainly shifts some air and with the amount of noise it makes I don't need a warning light to know when it's on.
So as Neil says if your viscous fails a decent electric fan would be a life saver.
Cheers,
Floyd.

Agreed, the electric fans are the way to go. I have 2 x 10" fans mounted against the radiator (a quad-core aluminium item), plus the Davies-Craig 16" in front of the radiator. All hoses (except expansion bottle) are silicone. No header tank.

The 10" are set to switch on at 82 degrees C, while the Davies Craig is connected to a 'hot' wire at all times and is operated manually on a 20amp toggle. It's loud when you're outside the Stag, so you can never forget to switch it off.

In 40 C (102 F) temps last summer, the 16" fan never lets the temp go over 85 Celcius.

There's also a digital temp gauge attached to the 10" fans that measures coolant temp out of the steel hose pipe, although the dash temp gauge is hooked up to the normal temp switch, and the two gauges always agree with each other.

Cheers,

RD

Hi, on route to the Le Mans Clasiic last year I got stuck in a huge jam on the auto route, I have an auto Stag with a four core rad and with the exception of the inlet manifold gaskets going have never had an issue, but with weather nearing 35 degrees the old temp gauge started to rise quickly. I was very pleased to have an electric fan and it kept the temperature just right even after bairly moving for 30 minutes. Mine is on a manual switch and sits infront of the rad. I very wise investment.

Hi Fish

You say your fan is mounted in front of the Rad - how is it fixed? Have you used the 'through the Core fixings' or some other method. I now have a 14" Kenlowe courtesy of a fellow forum member but have yet to fit it. I too plan to run mine through a manual switch and relay, probably using the redundant Rear Window Heater switch.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to buy a stag the one I am interested in has not got an elec, fan but an uprated radiator is that not enough ????? also the car I am looking at has electronic ignition and the seller said the rev. counter only works now and then and was told it could be the fault of the electronic ignition is that correct??????????

This is a January 1973 MK 2 ??????????????? seems a nice car, but rev counter only works now and then and the heater doesn't work  on heat ? and upholstery a little scruffy on drivers seat , but apart from that no rust and engine seems OK with an uprated radiator, he wants £6,500 how much roughly to have a car reupholstered thanks Martin

martin_allinson wrote:
This is a January 1973 MK 2 ??????????????? seems a nice car, but rev counter only works now and then and the heater doesn't work  on heat ? and upholstery a little scruffy on drivers seat , but apart from that no rust and engine seems OK with an uprated radiator, he wants £6,500 how much roughly to have a car reupholstered thanks Martin

Maartin

Reupholstered with waht??

Original vinyl?

Leather??

New carpets??

Heater prob sounds like stuck valve.

Rev counter may just be duff.

Cheers

Colin

Doing it yourself?

Carpet and underlay cost me about £250 from Paddocks.

Take the seats to an upholstorer and plan on £100 - £200 labour per seat plus the cost of new foam and covers from Paddocks / Rimmers / EJ Ward. Then you'll think, well if I'm having this done I might as well go for leather instead.....

ps. Will you then want to recover the B posts, and the dash and the cubby holes, and the rear seat.....

Archived