tomtrumpet

Hi all

I pulled my GT6 Rotoflex rear hubs today to upgrade  to M12 wheel studs. I made up this puller from a Spit front hub years ago when the proper Churchill tool was not readily available. Probably not as good as the proper tool, but hasn't failed yet on a Spitfire GT6 and Vitesse.

Mark

• 1 year later...

HI

Can I "Bump" this thread, I am into a full refurb of a `71 Herald 13/60. And have come across the same issue, the Hub is resisting ALL attempts at removal including a 10t press and heat!. The end result is that I can see distortion in the flange. I need the hub off to refurb the damaged parts (Backplate and grease retainer).

Has anyone local to HULL. got access to the type of puller required. OR anyone got a Photo(s) of the Puller?. I have access to welding and machining kit and may be able to fabricate something that will work. IF I know what I am looking at?

Regards

Pete

Hi

Thanks for the info, I have most of the Bit`s I need kicking about in the garage I am sure. Hopefully some welding and a bit of Lathe work will produce a satisfactory Answer. Once removed a light skim should true the hub back up.

Hopefully a replacement shaft will not be required. but I will NDT the Hub before I refurb anyway.

Cheers

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the Hub off. the Mk3 puller worked!, (5" weldable pipe flange, 2-1/2" Galvanised Pipe 1" BSW Threaded stud with 2 nuts, and a lot of rather scruffy weld!), with the judicious use of the 7lb hammer!. (Mks 1 and 2 failed, But I have to admit my welding was not of the best!.) I had to Modify a bearing puller to remove the Trunnion, but the surfaces look as if they will take a new Needle roller. Hopefully the last damaged threads on the shaft can be recovered

Edit:- Clocked the hub up in the lathe and did a light skim of the face, Now Rebuilt and cleaned Painted. Checked the "run-out" on the Hub face @ less than 0.5mm. Threads are now OK, only light damage in way of the first 2/3 threads which are well past the Nut. Now moved on to cleaning up the spring. (post elsewhere)

Pete