Front springs and how to get a little lower...

Sideways Tim

I'm about to overhaul the brakes and suspension and have been thinking for a while that the front end sits a bit high. I want to fit new springs while it's stripped down, but what do I need and where from? I've got Spax dampers all round and a newish rear spring, so quite happy with just a pair of new coils. Do I need to measure the old ones first? Weighted or off the car?
I only want to do this once ideally, so your help, as ever, is appreciated.

Tim.

Tim,

Hello, it largely depends on how complicated you need to go.  To calulate the spring ratio of the coil with them off the car follows:

The spring rate of a coil =k where;   K=(d^4*G)/(8ND^3)

where d is the wire diameter, G is the spring shear modulus (around 12,000,000 lbsft/in^2 for steel), n is the number of raps and D is the diameter of the coil.

This should give you around 170/180 lbs/ft (if you currently have factory spec springs as fitted to the spitfire).

bugger, didnt get to finish post......

Best to do this prior to spending money to check which ones you already have fitted.  If they arn't 330lbs/ft, I would agree with rumpith and get a set.

Spax are ok, have a search for a previous thread regarding the merits of different shocks.  Others prefer Koni as you can adjust the height whilst still attached to the car.  

Andy.  

This is where it gets confusticating. One reply saying 330lb and another saying 180lb.
Standard Spitfire MK IV, Spax dampers. If I get a standard weight spring, which is shorter, will it be too soft? Does a shorter spring need to be a higher poundage?

Assuming your shocks are non adjustable (in height that is), then yes you would need to find a spring with a shorter free length than what you have on just now to get the height lower.

As the guys have said, 330lbs springs seem to be a good upgrade, not too hard for normal use, but 'smartens' the ride from the soft standard spring. This should help with slightly more spirited driving occasionally without going over the top IMO.

I posted recently on another method of finding spring sizes and what you need, I'll try and look it up for you.

Here we go, the thread in question is over on the darkside (sideways-technologies), however it gives a good description of what you might need to take into account when fitting harder springs, and how to adjust for height differences.

http://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/1305-how-to-calculate-front-spring-length/

Cheers,

Phil

3266 wrote:

Spax are ok, have a search for a previous thread regarding the merits of different shocks.  Others prefer Koni as you can adjust the height whilst still attached to the car.  

Andy.  

Spax are adjustable on the car (until the adjuster seizes, which can be pretty fast) as are gaz. Koni need to come off he car to be adjusted.......

I would use 330lb 1" lower as supplied by moss and others. Yes, if shorter needs to be stronger as they may bottom out.

2356 wrote:
I'm about to overhaul the brakes and suspension and have been thinking for a while that the front end sits a bit high. I want to fit new springs while it's stripped down, but what do I need and where from? I've got Spax dampers all round and a newish rear spring, so quite happy with just a pair of new coils. Do I need to measure the old ones first? Weighted or off the car?
I only want to do this once ideally, so your help, as ever, is appreciated.

Tim.

I second what others have said--the common 330 lb/in, ~9 inch free length springs will do the trick nicely on dampers with fixed spring seats.  350 lb/in, 9 inch free length, 2.5 inch I.D. springs also work great.  Nice thing about this particular stiffness and free length is that they are readily available from a variety of vendors (like Faulkner springs from places like Merlin in the UK, or QA1 springs from Jegs in the US).  You don't need to measure the old springs, but you will need a spring compressor to remove the old springs from the dampers.  The new springs are short enough that they won't preload the extended damper when it's off the car and so you won't need the spring compressor to reassemble.

The key to the desired ride height for fixed spring seat dampers is the right combination of spring rate and spring free length.  It's not a linear thing--check this out:

http://auskellian.com/paul/links_files/performance_enhancements.htm#front

Following this link a few paragraphs, there's a calculator that I created that you can download so you can see how this works for the ~1 inch lower front geometry.  Enjoy-  

• 5 weeks later...

Standard spring on the rear, all be it a new one fitted  by the p.o. About five years ago.
The springs that came off the front have a 13" free length. No idea what poundage they are, but it was scary using the compressors to get them off!
New springs were from Merlin 9" 350lb

Archived