Spit mkIV:  big clunk then no drive to rear wheels

supergreenmachine73

I was pulling away from my home the other day in my mkIV Spit. I came to the junction at the top of my street and changed down to 1st gear to pull away when there was a mighty clunk. Then there was no drive in any gear. The clunk felt like it was right underneath me. Which leads me to think its the prop shaft or Universal Joint.

A bit of background. There has been a soft whirring sound whenever I depress the clutch while parked up and out of gear. So, maybe the clutch or something related to it is the problem.

Any initial ideas?
James

Clutch plate broken. That would be my guess.

But you need to have a look under the car.....

If you jack up the rear, even just one wheel. Put it in gear and turn one wheel, other kept still. If propshaft is turning, and will do so in gear, then clutch plate. If the prop doesn't turn (and nothing else looks broken) it will be the diff.

Quoted from Pete Lewis
check the diff  short output shaft has not sheared on on side ,  you cant see this as the shear point is inside the diff case  

jack car  one wheel up, put in gear to lock the prop   try to turn wheel , if its free  one has failed ,
Pete

Been there, done that.....Three times, the result of enthusiastic acceleration on 15" wires.....