James

Blimey, that really changes the look of the car James. It looked, before, like a very well cared for Saloon owned by an elderly gent. Now it looks kind of OOOfffff. The Minlites (not that I am a general liker of them) really suit your car. Nice steering wheel too.......... Suspension and proper box to follow I presume.

I hope you guys have a good night at the Pough tonight. My car is still in bits but I should be there at the next meeting in August with a near-complete respray.....

Greeks - cheeky git - used that to make sure the plastic on the horn tube thingy doesn't move - it was a tight fit anyway but that was insurance.

Neil - Proper 'box and suspension is all on the cards - before the 10CR.

Sorbs - the wheel is a 15" Motolita Mk4 dished with holes.

If it's a proper auto-spec vinyl it should come off easy if you do one of the following:

1) Wait for a hot sunny day.
2) Heat with a hair drier.
3) Heat VERY carefully with a heat gun.
4) Poor a kettle of boiling water over it.

This will soften the vinyl and glue and it should peal straight off.

• 1 month later...

We were told by Moss we couldn't get a steering wheel with (a) the right depth boss and (b) a horn. The spitfire 1500 boss would fit but without a horn, and we don't want to cobble together a horn anywhere other than in the centre of the steering wheel. Do you have the old steering wheel/ is it MOTable/ are you willing to part with it?

All that's between my estate and its MOT is the steering wheel/ horn. To have it done by Friday which is the 2nd anniversary of the rebuild, would be excellent!

By whom? for what?

You want a Motolita one?

Go direct to Motolita and bypass the Moss monkeys who know nothing.

The wheel I have is really a practical version of a Mk1 PI one - without the bending when you try to turn it.

15", dished, the holes, polished...

Caroline,

Do you still want to borrow my pi wheel?

James is correct these do flex, the Motolita is far superior to the std wheel. Talk to Motolita direct, ignore the stupid superior attitude you may encounter- they are another British company who seem to suffer from this idiocy.

Tim

The Motolita site (www.motolita.co.uk) actually has the big Triumphs in it's "Your Car" section.  Just plug away and it comes up with their recommended wheels/boss (looks to be a B21H for a '69 2.5PI).

Knowing the Motolita boss number you might be able to get one (or the wheel it's self) cheaper somewhere else.

Thanks. "Short" term we've ordered a Mountie wheel from Witor's. Motolita have shut their factory for their summer hols so they aren't processing orders for a couple of weeks and I didn't want to wait that long.

I'm not sure about borrowing yours now Tim, probably not. I'd like an original of my own to store on my wardrobe as and when we ever track one down, but also I'd like a practical wheel to actually use.

Caroline

• 2 weeks later...

Archived