What colour wheels?

GT6 John

Right ok, for those who haven't read my blog, and lets face it, that's most of you, I am flogging the terribly nice but useless for proper driving wires and am fitting a set of original 4.5J steels.

The steels are the sort that take hub caps.

Now I'm having my car resprayed the same colour as before, Triumph code 19 white.

So, what colour should I paint the steels?

I like the sound of gunmetal silver!

I hope that's not an advert for your wheels, Jony?! ;)  You could almost tempt me there though, Jony.  If only I wasn't getting such a blinding deal on these 4.5Js, and you weren't up there in Staffordshire and me down here in East Sussex... :P

If you were painting the car red I'd say Old English White/Cream/Off White which is the original colour and looks great with Singal Red.
New hubcaps are pretty expensive btw unless you've gotem already

Chassis and bodywork - Signal red RAL 3001
Wheels – Cream RAL 9001

White wheels and white body, I dunno
Black tyres - chrome hubcaps.

Need to see a picture
Couldn't find a GT&, but here's an early spit, looks very period.

I was thinking white, but then thuoght that my white car would make them look odd, that's why I was siding toward the silver.

Anyway here's a piccie of the car as was.  For those with photoshop abilities, have fun!

I am getting a set of quite rare after market, but original, hub caps that have different badges in the middle of them.

Hmm, I see both your points regarding white now.  Oh, the agony of choice!

The original shade of white used on Triumph wheels in the 1960s is Spa White. The original silver I am told is well matched by Ford Argent. The information on the Ford colour came from the US, so it may or may not match any European Ford colour of the same name....
I would go for the silver on a White car, the contrast between two shades of white can be uncomfortable.
Don't waste money on new hubcaps, unless they are genuine old stock. The newly made ones are hideous, nothing like the originals and stick out like a sore thumb. You're better off paying to have some straight originals re-chromed.
cheers,
Bill.

jimio wrote:

When did you move Jony?  ;D

John, its gotta be white mate.
White steelies sans hubcaps look ace!
Its what I'd have if I could nae afford my Revs!

dont know ask John! lol hehehe ;D next year then yes you may be right but im still in scabby coalville at the mo lol

are you not coming to the NEC next week then John ;)

Jony5 wrote:
are you not coming to the NEC next week then John ;)

Er, no car at the moment, Jony! ;D

Jony5 wrote:
dont know ask John! lol hehehe ;D next year then yes you may be right but im still in scabby coalville at the mo lol

*note to self* Stop typing on the forum to help alleviate the tedium of doing invoices and statements on behalf of CT, otherwise I confuse where people live!  ::)  :B

Archived