On it's wheels!

TimW

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi
I got an aluminum Honda  civic race radiator from ebay to fit years 90-2000 ish  The only mod required is to trim the chassis members at the origonal radiator location because the civic rad is about 15mm wider.  I used 2 triumph stag bottom hoses for the civic top hose and a slightly cut down GT6 bottom hose on the bottom of the civic rad.  I then got a 10" suck fan and cable tied it to the rear of the rad.  The Civic rads are sold on ebay in either 2 core or 3 core.  The 3 core is closer to the standard rad but was a little more expensive so i got the 2 core just to try it out.  I have not run the rad on the GT6 under load yet but have had it idling in the garage last thursday when we had the hottest day of the year (about 90f) The car ran for about 40mins and the rad did cope very well and it didn't overheat.  I shall have it on the road in about 2 weeks so should have a bit more feedback then.  I have taken some pics and will post in a bit

Cheers
Tim

irish44j wrote:
details on this civic radiator please!

Now that does look the dogs danglies :)

Please do post back with how the radiator copes once your on the road 8)

***edit***

Just read the bit you linked to Roy. I take it that it didn't work out as you hoped as your setup is now different?

Thanks Roy it just looked too good to be true then? Or did you do anything else when fitting your (golf I think) wider radiator.

I may investigate the three core civic aluminum radiator depending on how it goes for bestquality03.

tiggrr1 wrote:
Now that does look the dogs danglies :)

Please do post back with how the radiator copes once your on the road 8)

***edit***

Just read the bit you linked to Roy. I take it that it didn't work out as you hoped as your setup is now different?

Tiggr
Thanks for th comments.  I do think that the civic rad will need to be modded to fit a header tank.  As the pics show the rad is slightly lower than the top of the engine.  I think this may cause a problem as you can't get maximum water level from just topping up the rad from the filler neck.  I am having the glass fitted on Thursday and will try and get all the other little bits done in the next week or so.  Then i can give it a proper run and see how it performs.  I will keep you updated.

Regards
Tim

tiggrr1 wrote:
Thanks Roy it just looked too good to be true then? Or did you do anything else when fitting your (golf I think) wider radiator.

I may investigate the three core civic aluminum radiator depending on how it goes for bestquality03.

Tiggr

You may find that the 3 core is actually less efficent than the 2 core.  I phoned PACE radiators to see what size core's they sold and if they had any that was a direct replacment for the standard.  I have access to a complete aluminum fabrications deparment at work and was going to get them to make me a rad from a PACE core.  After talking to the technical guy at PACE he told me that the 2 core flowed air better than the 3 core therefor was more efficient.  On paper the civic rad should give at least the same performance as the standard rad because it has the same surface area and aluminum is more thermo efficient than the standard rad.  

All The Best

Tim

P.S.
I will be happy to make up any of these rads in either the 2 or 3 core for anyone who wants one if you cover my costs.  I would like to do a 3 core just to see the difference but trying to get the wife to agree the cost of yet another rad for ME may be tricky!!!!!!!!!!!!!

timbancroft61 wrote:
What rad is Roy now using?

After years of running my GT6 with a thick cored Stanpart rad I am about to give up and go for something modern?

Hi Tim
Roy is running a standard golf MK2.  The install is very neat and performs without fault.  The install looks easy enough to do and he used all genuine gt6 hoses.  He also runs a header tank on the bulkhead as the golf rad doesn't have a cap.  He has posted pics on here before but i'm sure he would post them again!  I will gladly either mod a civic one for you or make one up from scratch if you get the bits from somewhere like PACE.

Regards
Tim

tiggrr1 wrote:
Tim this was what Roy was running at Cadwell. I believe it's a VW Golf radiator, not sure which one though.

Tiggr
Thanks for that but Roy was at my house last Thursday helping sort the timing and carbs He also helped put the bonnet on so i have seen his GT6 first hand.  The rad he is using is a Golf MK2 and had i not already bought a civic rad and read his thread on the civic rad i would have gone down the same route.  Saying that Roy fitted his civic rad very far forward so had to drop it lower down in the chassis rails to fit under the bonnet.  This will block the air flow to the centre of the rad because the front cross member gets in the way of the air flow.  I don't know if this had anything to do with it not working just a guess.  I think my install is showing all the right signs that it will work just fine.  

One major benefit to using the golf rad is cost.  I think Roy paid £40ish for his brand new!!!  You can also get aluminum  Race rads for the golf for £150 off ebay.  Now that may be NICE!!!!

Regsrds
Tim

Another thought Tim

If you have been running it for years....................It may benefit from a new core.

Do you remember Marcus's green GT6 at the start of La Carrera Caledonia that runs just short of 190bhp (heavily modified) but still on a standard GT6 radiator. It just has a very efficient homemade front shroud and electric fan (front mounted ).

It was however cooling too efficiently when I visited him (warm day too) and he had the radiator blanked off and the gauge still only went to about 1/3 of the dial.

So I reckon the GT6 radiator in good condition with a decent shroud should work fine.

I have ordered one of these shrouds off ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250456617779

(No association) and hope to fit it this weekend. I'll post how it goes.

I reckon that it may fit the civic rad, if you want me to measure it for you bestquality03?

tiggrr1 wrote:
Another thought Tim

If you have been running it for years....................It may benefit from a new core.

Do you remember Marcus's green GT6 at the start of La Carrera Caledonia that runs just short of 190bhp (heavily modified) but still on a standard GT6 radiator. It just has a very efficient homemade front shroud and electric fan (front mounted ).

It was however cooling too efficiently when I visited him (warm day too) and he had the radiator blanked off and the gauge still only went to about 1/3 of the dial.

So I reckon the GT6 radiator in good condition with a decent shroud should work fine.

I have ordered one of these shrouds off ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250456617779

(No association) and hope to fit it this weekend. I'll post how it goes.

I reckon that it may fit the civic rad, if you want me to measure it for you bestquality03?

Hi Steve

Thanks for the offer on the shroud but i already have one and yes it will just about fit on the civic rad.  I have to be honest I didn't do the civic rad install because i wanted better cooling.  I did it because it is 1/3rd the weight of the gt6,  It looks cool and because i can't leave anything alone!!!!!!  My brother runs a 2300cc gt6 full race engine with Lucas PI and his standard rad copes just fine.

In my opinion the weight saving alone is worth changing the standard rad.

Regards
Tim

I thought, hey I know that engine bay! :P

I also Agree about the standard Rad being up to be job,

I have always thought that the standard crank driven fan Really doesnt help to keep the cabin temps down due to constantly blowing back warm air up the tunnel!
So, firstly I tried a pacet puller fan on the standard rad, although this set up works for Tim b, my car really struggled.
Next  I tried a civic alloy rad, but again mine ran just a tad warm for my liking.
Now having seen Tim's(bestquality03) Gt6 running for 30mins on a hot day in a garage,and holding temps very well, Im sure my engine just runs a bit hotter that others.

So, I thought Id try the Golf mk2 rad, its �40 new, and easy to fit, it works for me.
I already had a couple of fans that luckily fitted onto it, and also managed to use triumph hoses  ;) to keep it simple and easy to change back if needed.

at speed, it really does bring the temps down quickly, and the fans doo their job at slower  traffic speeds.

still would like a touch more and those alloy golf rads on ebay looks yummy! :P

You could swap to a golf rad in a day ,all the parts would cost around �70-80, and if you didnt like it or wanted to go back to standard you could without any probs.

couple more install pics on here i think......
http://s625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/Royboy66_photos/?start=all

8)

• 2 weeks later...

1 pipe from the thermostat housing.  The inside diameter of this pipe is 4.5mm so i think it will be o.k.  The other small diameter pipe is from the rad neck. I have removed the centre valve and seal from the rad cap to allow constant flow.  If you look real hard you can see the 15mm id pipe going around the suspension turret and teeing into the bottom hose

Archived