GT6 mk1 dash/console/H support

Baxter

Evening all,

Can't find a thread covering this, other than Hazen showing his refurb of the one type for his mk1 (you still around Hazen?).  Putting final parts of my project together now following fitting the tunnel; so onto carpets, seats and... dash support.  The one that came with my project seems way too tight to get into position, though my tunnel carpet is pretty rough and hard to lay flat.  Thought I'd check parts and find the following (courtesy of Canleys):

GT6 mk1:

Spit 1/2:

I have the fascia support bracket from the top drawing; the dash support from the lower drawing.

So, the two drawings have different brackets but both include GT6 mk1 on their model list.  Is that right?  And if my 'curvy' bracket is indeed correct for my model, will it fit onto the #709691 bracket?

Took the carpet out and measured up:

Oh, sideways.  Whichever way, this support bracket is too big to fit in the allocated space.  Besides, I'd need to drill new holes through the top of it.  Has anyone really seen one in a GT6 mk1?

As the PN 810681 bracket is hard to come by, I'll have a bit of a search/wait, and then make something to fit if need be.  Let me know if you've got one lying around on your spares shelf!

Really need to find out how tall the other bracket is. 

The dash on these cars can be "troublesome" and often seem to sink for various reasons. I know of people who have used a pair of scissor jacks to lift the dash enough, but that is with spitfires. I expect the GT6 may be less agreeable to that treatment?

The legs of the H-frame are cut away at the bottom to fit into the chassis, so make sure you have them in the correct location; secondly you can't fit it on top of the gearbox tunnel and carpet as this will raise it too much. You may need to cut the gearbox tunnel away to allow the H-frame to sit directly on the chassis. I had to cut both tunnel and carpet on my Mk1 before it would fit in place, but when it goes in you'll know it's in the right place.

Quoted from Baxter-

That's right - I measured the bracket to be approx. 14 3/4" and the space to be approx. 14".

Couldn't even begin to 'persuade' it to fit when I tried to position it.

You need to try harder!!

I wonder if the car has been worked on with out the brace in place?

perhaps loosen screen frame top and bottom and jack under dash and also perhaps under sills to try to open everything up

They should fit relatively well and are fitted on top of carpet and the gearbox tunnel. 18mm is not too bad a gap, I think a bit of light persuasion is needed. A screw jack on each side of the dash between the floor and the bottom edge with some bits of 2 x 1 will help, just be careful.

Remember to have the bracket behind the dash that bolts onto the steering column brackets. If you have not got them, Paddocks sell the domed chromed bolts that screw into the floor. Always a good idea to clean out the threads in the chassis with a tap and some light oil.

After years and years of GT6 work, taking in/out the gearbox and putting the H frame in/out, I thought doing likewise on a TR6 would be similar, the H frame on my car would only go in using the above method. A real swine of a job!

Don't be tempted to drive the car with out the H frame fitted, they rattle enough, without the frame, its almost comical!

Good luck.

Quoted from timbancroft61-

Don't be tempted to drive the car with out the H frame fitted, they rattle enough, without the frame, its almost comical!

My GT6 has never had the H frame since my brother bought it. I fitted a small panel for extra gauges many years back, which bolts to the dash where the H-frame should but merely rests on the gearbox tunnel. As yet (twenty years and four RBRRs later) it hasn't even worn through the carpet.

Thanks for ongoing help. I'm happy to put a bit more effort into things, but first, is it the right bracket?

Looking at the drawings I posted at the top of this thread, I have the #709691 Fascia Support Bracket from the top drawing, and the #807533 Dash Support/H Bracket from the lower drawing.  Even if I can leverage a little extra height, it doesn't look like the fixing holes will line up between my two items.

Has anyone seen the #807533 H Bracket in a GT6 mk1?

Could someone with the #810681 H Bracket in their GT6 please measure its height?

As for driving the car...I'm moving workshop during the week, so will be driving it one way or another.  Plenty of rattles just idling in the yard, and plenty of potholes waiting outside, so I'm trying to fix what I can.

Quoted from RobPearce-

Well, as I've never driven mine with one I don't have a comparison. I was thinking of fitting the spare that I have but it's from a Mk2 Spitfire so, having read this thread, I'm not sure it will fit.

Do you need a late H frame? I have one here.... can drop off at the dinner next week.

Quoted from cliftyhanger-
Quoted from RobPearce-

Well, as I've never driven mine with one I don't have a comparison. I was thinking of fitting the spare that I have but it's from a Mk2 Spitfire so, having read this thread, I'm not sure it will fit.

Do you need a late H frame? I have one here.... can drop off at the dinner next week.

That would be excellent... if I was going to the dinner. I would be interested, though, if there's scope for the CTPE to get it to Cambridge.

Quoted from cliftyhanger-

Hmm, having trouble locating it. Last seen in my workshop area, but seems to be hiding. Time to have a tidy up methinks.

Ha! Now there's a feeling I'm well familiar with. Although the last box of stuff that I'd definitely last seen somewhere in the garage... turned up in the study.